6/3 Scallops at Lanark

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

6/3 Scallops at Lanark

Post by Littoral »

Early reports indicate that there might be some scallops at Lanark this year.
Last edited by Littoral on June 5th, 2003, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

thats not good...... :thumbdown:
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Funny, thats not what you said on the FS board.? :roll:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

UMMM, exactly Tom :roll: :wink:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
beerfish

Post by beerfish »

thanks for the report, thats really good news :wink:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Tom, Obviously I edited my post here and at FS. What's your opinion of that? Respones on the FS board were real negative. It was generally about expecting an invasion of people. I think it's a "not in my back yard" response. I respected the "democratic" postion of the majority on the board and I edited my post -but I disagree with them.
I want people to be on the water having a good experience with fishing (not flying around on their jet ski, all of which I would surely blast out of the water if I could).
The only way people will ever care and make decisions about protecting such places is if it matters to them. That comes from experiences like an unforgetable day like going to Lanark catching scallops, and all the other amazing stuff they'll see. Facillitating experiences like that is actually my full time job.
Again, as administrator, what's your opinion about my originial post and my choice to edit it?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Littoral, I know you asked Tom. But I'd like to throw my 2 cents in if you don't mind. I didn't read your first post, but I'd imagine it was a positive report on the scallops. I'm quite surprised anyone on this site would want you to post untrue reports. Don't report if your saving an area, but don't post a false report. How many times have you read on this site where some young fisherman or novice has thanked the "old salts" for being honest or helpfull with honest information. Tom didn't want to share a number of one of his favorite spots the other day with a member, he stated so out right. He didn't give out bogus information. That's the way it should be.
Say nothing at all, but if you do be honest about it. That's the way CSMarine feels about it.
Semper Fi
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

CSmarine said it just right, IMO.

For what its worth, I think your original intentions were good and I realize you only changed the post because you were getting hammered for it.
Ken
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

You need a Job CSMarine? ;)

I totally agree about people on the water having a good time. The more folks who have positive experiences on the water, the more allies agains the likes of the illegal netters, Save the Manatee nuts, and anti boating groups. That is why I started this site to help people get as much enjoyment out of the area as I do.

BTW, I realize what you were trying to do and for the most part I don't blame you. But you have to realize something, the responses you get here are going vary greatly from the responses on the FS Board. Some folks over there don't want anything posted about where to catch fish or scallops if it happens to correspond to where they do it. They are selfish, plain and simple.

The folks here genuinely want to help folks catch fish (and scallops). Hell, I found the mother lode of scallops at Econfina last year and even posted the GPS numbers for it. Even then, I still managed my limit every time I went until the season was out. Did that hurt me? Nope, and actually I got quite a few emails from folks thanking me.

That being said, I won't post numbers to an exact grouper hole, or rock pile I may have that I put in my time to find. I will generally give what I call the 3 D's, Direction, Distance, and Depth. But for something like scallops that are only there for a month, who cares?

The truth is there will be scallops somewhere every year, just like the spanish run, just like the grouper bite, etc. If people choose not to tell specifically where they found the bite, I can totally respect that. But a fishing report that just tells the numbers caught is just bragging in my opinion.

Truth is you probably can't put the genie back in the bottle as far as the lanark scallops. I can respect the fact that you tried to fix something that was percieved as a misstep, but giving outright false info is not the way to do it. Like mom says, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Remember, positive reports are good, negative reports are good, false reports are bad.

Thanks for telling us where you found them, but chances are I won't chase them over there anyway just because I hate the crowds. I'd much rather be between St. Marks and Rock Island. And to give you a report, I've seen them at St. Marks. :)
Last edited by Tom Keels on June 5th, 2003, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

CS, appreciate your thoughts. I agree with not reporting information that is untrue. I also read Tom's response about his rock pile numbers. His response was right on. Numbers are too specific to give away.
Your suggestion is that the alternative would be to not have reported about the scallops at all. Sure. If that's true then I think it's a shame because it would be contrary to what a board for reports is all about -i.e. general info to help us all do what we love to do.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

And I guess I'll be honest about it to :o I haven't been scollopin in over 10 years :lol: I just buy them from the scollop house over in Apalach. and spend my time fishin away from the crouds :thumbup: But I just can't help but cause trouble if GS is involved in it :roll: You will also find that people show a little more respect over here than on FS :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Some folks over there don't want anything posted about where to catch fish or scallops if it happens to correspond to where they do it. They are selfish, plain and simple.
Now I'm selfish, plain and simple and I thought I was only an azz :wink: :lol: :hammer: :hammer:

Group hug...have round on me :beer: :beer: :beer:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Wevans, hoped you'd chime in here on this. As Tom said, and I've figured out, this isn't the FS board. People around here have been really helpful.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Well, that is a 2 way street. The only way to keep something a secret is to not tell anyone. I really have no problem with that. But think of it this way. A post saying "There are no scallops at Lanark" that is a flase statement meant to keep folks from going there. That is equivelent to, in my mind, saying "Do not fish at place X because the water is polluted" when it isn't.

If I found a 20 X 20 foot space of water that had a finite number of fish in it, I probably am not going to tell anyone about its location simply because the spot cannot hold up to the pressure. Now a 2 mile X 2 mile stretch of water is a different story. Even if you are within the 4 square miles, you still have to find the fish and catch them and that takes skills beyond a GPS number. No one is blaming you for changing your post, but just realize that you are not going to get hammered over here for posting true and accurate reports. If I have a spot where I'm catching fish, or finding scallops, and you post that you loaded the boat in that area, I, nor anyone else here is going to chastise you for saying it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Chalk, I think you know who wevans and I were talking about. :wink: :beer:
Tom Keels
Site Founder