Lawn Tractor Recommendations ?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bayrunner22

Re: Lawn Tractor Recommendations ?

Post by bayrunner22 »

Look at the bad boy mower you get a lot of mower for the money
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

tin can wrote:My 20 year old Deere has never let me down.
Carol has been really understanding and good to him over the years... John is smart nuff to know it always helps to fudge a bit on the age. :wink:

I grew up in the mid west and JD was the only equipment my family would allow. I really wanted to go green with my mower but I just couldn't find the quality I was looking for in the new ones. If I could have found one of the older ones in good shape I probably would have gone in that direction. With respect to mowers, and your expected usage, I would not look at anything under 42". The manufacture may change depending on whether you want Zero turn or the standard tractor type. Don't skimp on the HP. A 42 inch with an 18 hp will not be as efficient as the same mower with a 20 hp. You will be able to cut cleanly with less throttle with the higher HP and if you get into heavier grass/weeds it won't bog down on you. If you have a lot of beds, and landscaping to mow around that could make a difference as well in your choice. I purchased 42 in Snapper LT about 3-4 seasons ago and just replaced the battery as the first maintenance expense. I found a good deal online with Snapper and Esposito's matched it. I went with the snapper because of the placement of the gas tank (don't care for gas tank and fill to be in the engine compartment next to battery), smallest turning radius on the market for a tractor type(at the time), cast iron front axle and strength of other frame members compared to rolled or stamped items on other units, ease of mower deck removal (no tools), single belt, comfort of seat, switch control to allow reverse while mower blades are running (some models you have to hold down the control each time you back up or there is no feature at all). Although I don't use it at my place, I do have cruise control which would be nice if I were mowing large open areas. Even though I went with the tractor type, I'd go Zero turn now (but not necessarily Snapper) unless you had a need to pull other equipment. Consider what/who will be providing your Customer Service, parts, warranty, etc All the above is jmo and experience.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Skag.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BUD, I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY HOURS I HAVE ON MY OLD CUB CADET, I PAINTED THE HOOD ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AND CHANGED BLADES. I SET MY CUT TO ABOUT 3 INCHES AND THE BELTS, BLADES ETC. ALL SEEM TO LAST AT LEAST 3 TIMES LONGER THAN WHEN I USE TO CUT AT 2 INCHES HEIGHT. MY CADET HAS A SOLID FRONT AXLE, I HAVE REPLACED THE BUSHINGS TWO TIME ON THIS, ISN'T VERY EXPENSIVE ABOUT .50 FOR EACH UPPER AND LOWER BUSHING. OF COURSE I DO ALL OF MY REPAIR WORK AND THIS CUTS THE COST OF REPAIR ABOUT 2/3RDS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Badcock & More has an awesome line of Mowers by Poulan Pro which is the identical mower to many of the brands listed here, ALL of which are made by AYP(American Yard Products). We have great pricing and instore financing at any of my three stores!! Geez, Ive been off the site a little while and I cant get any props from my old buds??:~) Come see us!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

If I was to do it all over again I would get a mower with a front deck. I had an old 3 wheel front deck Yazoo. It was a good mower but, I couldn't get parts for it. And the last couple of years something was always going wrong with it. Sold it to a friend and bought a zero turn 48" Gravely. It's a lot faster but I liked my front deck better.