Lawn Tractor Recommendations ?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Lawn Tractor Recommendations ?

Post by Badbagger »

Just looking for a little input on lawn tractors. We'd like to pick one up for the season ahead. Getting tired of walking the mile with the mower even if it is self propelled. Yard is a decent size. I'd guess I have about 1/4 acre give or take of grass. I'd like to have something that we could mow up to an acre with in decent time. Just looking ahead, when the Mrs. Gradumacates from the FSU School of Medicine in May 2014, we'll be looking to move up to something bigger house and lot size wise.

I don't have a problem buying something used if it's decent but unless ya know the owners and track record of the mower, it's always a crap shoot. So any suggestions on make and the like is welcomed.

Thanks
TroutTrent

Re: Lawn Tractor Recommendations ?

Post by TroutTrent »

Cub Cadet hands down is the best 1 I've ever owned . if you are going with the commercial mower Skaggs is the best out there .... :thumbup:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I have had friends ask my opinion for years, some took advice, some did not. ---John Deere---.

I have two that are over 20 years old and still going. One other thing. The new Lowes John Deere line is NOT the same quality as the ones at the dealer. But a good one is going to cost you.

Now, back to my friends. I had one say "I am not paying $4000 when I can get one at Sears for half that or less". In the last 20 years, he has bought 4 or 5 of those cheaper Sears riders. I still have the same John Deeres. You do the math.

I am also talking about the rider tractor types. I have no experience with the newer Zero Turn Radius type mowers.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
dogonenuts

Post by dogonenuts »

I would have to agree with Dubble Bubble though I walked behind a Snapper my Dad had bought me until about eight years ago. Have the dealer do maintenance once a year. All I do is put gas in it and sit on it. Occasionally I even drink a beer while on it(in the yard only).
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

We have a Cub Cadet. Have had to repair several, not inexpensive items. When ours has been down for repairs, we borrowed our neighbor's Skagg. I like our mower, but we will get a Skagg next go around.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Wow, lots of GREAT input and thank you.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Don't know about the reliability factor but Lowe's is carrying a new type riding mower called the Raven. It's an electric riding mower that is also a 7,000 watt generator and the mower can be removed easily to turn it into a 17 mph quasi atv. It has a gas motor that drives a generator that provides all the power. It's definitely got the cool factor.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Like Dubble said -- John Deer is the one -- but the John Deer unit sold at the big box stores are "designed" for reduced prices demanded by the big box stores --- like bushings instead of bearings!! The dealer's price might be a few hundred more, but you get a much better product. I have bought two of them, gave my first one to my nieghbor after 12 years of trouble free service and he is still using it. The one i have now is eight years old, only problem i have had with this one was a "tower bearing" went out last year.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Totally agree with Charlie. The big boxes do de-spec to hit price points. I know there is a big difference between the deere tractor sold at the big boxes than the dealers.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

17 YRS AGO I BOUGHT A CUB CADET 42 IN. CUT WITH A 22 HP BRIGS ENGINE, I PAID $959 FOR IT. I MOW ABOUT 17 ACRES WITH IT 5-6 TIMES A YEAR FOR OUR YARD UP NEAR THE HOUSE. THE ONLY THING I HAVE REPLACED HAS BEEN THE BELTS, BLADES, FILTER, AND ALSO HAD TO REPLACE THE BUSHINGS IN THE STEERING . IT STILL RUNS GREAT AND STARTS RIGHT UP IN THE SPRING AFTER BEING STORED THROUGH THE WINTER. I USE STA BIL IN ALL THE GAS I USE IN ANY MOWER, WEED EATER, EDGER, OUTBOARD, BLOWER OR ANY THING ELSE THAT RUNS ON GAS. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW YOU MAINTAIN THESE GAS EQUIPED EQUIPMENT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Deere. Got a 727 commercial. 48" cut can do big or small yards. Its an 03 700+ hours and I keep it greased and it does good. Its had belts replaced between me and previous owner and that's it, and blades of course, the county sand will eat em up!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

My 20 year old Deere has never let me down.
What was I supposed to do today?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I've had a Deere zero turn purchased from a dealer about 5 years ago. I change the gas, oil and battery and the blades every other year.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
carolinaskiff238dlv

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

Well i actually work with them all day everyday. I will tell you that HANDS DOWN EXMARK IS THE BEST!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

My dad was going to sell his JD and get the RAVEV from Lowes. Only downside to the raven is there is not a 220v provision on the generator. If not for that he would have made the switch already. I suspect they will add that to the model on the next revision.

That said, I have a JD that looks like hell, but still runs after 15 years.
850-273-8818