Who's catching?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Who's catching?

Post by DixieReb »

The bridge might be better fishing now, but I was there 3 weeks ago and it wasn't worth a flip. Nothing but catfish, small baitfish and 1 shark. It was so bad we went to the bait shop the next day and the woman working there said she hadn't sold much all day. I fished the pier in Panacea Wed. and did fair.
Yours in the South
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Got my trout limit and one red yesterday at Ecofina. On the water about 8:30, had to go out of the mouth slow. Up till about 2 pm I got 2 trout on gulp on a jig out on the flats.

With the tide high I moved into a creek mouth and encountered a feeding frenzy in line with the moon feeding time. I started throwing the Skitter and it was game on!

everything else was on top water! The red was 20" and the trout were from 18-19" and fat.

The bite turned off and I left.

I caught about 15 more short trout of which half were exactly 15".
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Ended up launching out of Rock Landing instead of St. Marks. Weather was perfect. Fished the incoming time, and only caught a few short trout and some catfish. At high tide we went in to get more bait and then relocated to fish the outgoing tide. Ended up catching about 20 trout altogether, with only 3 keepers. Sizes were 20", 18" and 16". Also caught a 20" bluefish that swallowed a pin fish we had freelined off the back of the boat and the biggest puffer fish I've ever seen.

All in all, it wasn't the most productive day, but who can complain about a beautiful day spent on the water? And we did manage to come home with dinner.

NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

I think I caught the same puffer fish east of St. Marks yesterday. We had a very similar day. 2 keeper trout and 2 rock bass. Lots of 14.99 inch fish. them puffers eat good!
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

FTReelty wrote:I think I caught the same puffer fish east of St. Marks yesterday. We had a very similar day. 2 keeper trout and 2 rock bass. Lots of 14.99 inch fish. them puffers eat good!
We got into them on the shoals a while back. Vicious little fighters that destroy popping corks and artificials, but this the biggest I've seen. I always heard that they were not good to eat. Do they have to be cleaned or prepared a certain way?
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.