Speak English

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

I just realized .. I DO know 2 more things. God, it amazes me how much I know sometimes!

1) My grandfather and Soccermom's great gands did not speak a word of English when they got here. They all made an effort to learn English, but were much more comfortable in German and spoke it as their first language to the day they died. Even worshiped in German Evangelical churches .. in German .. which their kids kind of resented. But that was back in the day .. back when the Italian neighborhoods (in NYC, Boston and elsewhere) spoke Italian, the Russian neighborhoods (NY, Chicago) spoke Russian .. and so on and so on. I think that US history is very multilingual.
2) Canada seems to have not suffered by having 2 languages. I think it's a pain to have nearly all of your packaging printed in French and English (someone pointed out that many 'regulations' .. whether expressed or implied are much harder on small business than they are on big biz) .. and I think Canadians have some small pride in having retained their multicultural/multilingual history.

I am not even hinting that Canada has a leg up on the US .. quite the contrary .. I am forever grateful that my maternal grandparents crossed the border and came here. But I think that having more than one language is a good thing .. both in our past (both places - US and Can) and in our future. I think that first and foremost, the US and Canada are places where you can "make your way in the world." If you believe in freedom, believe in hard work, are honest and upstanding, then you can carve out a life for you and your future generations. But I really have no idea how you keep out the 10% (or whatever number) are total scumbags .. nor how you keep those future generations out of gangs and terror cells. You sure can'y point to Britain as a place that has it figured out.

ps - I don't see the 'hatred' or vitriol that some claim to read into this thread. Honest opinions - expressed with passion - a true debate. I value what each of you has to say - whether I agree or not.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

What a mess wrote:From what I heard the hit dog does the barkin.

See you at lunch. D.H.
From what I've seen, the fat lady done sang on your arguments in this one :smt005

As for hit dog...nah....it is just so much fun to knock your lame arguments :smt005
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Nuff said :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Enjoyed lunch D.H. you were your effervescent self as ever.

You should be a college professor.

Something like philosophy maybe.

Talk a lot don't say much and have a fit if an opposing view comes along.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

What a mess wrote:Enjoyed lunch D.H. you were your effervescent self as ever.

You should be a college professor.

Something like philosophy maybe.

Talk a lot don't say much and have a fit if an opposing view comes along.
I was a professor once...had too many less than studious students like you and I quit :smt005
fishing 101

English Speaking song

Post by fishing 101 »

Wasn't the orginal discussion about speaking English when living in this country??? How did y'all get so sidetracked??? Let me say this...I have traveled across this great country as well as abroad...Did you know that people in other countries actually speak their native language while living in their country. When someone moves to another country, they eventually learn that language...Is it too much to ask for folks entering our country to do the same? I happen to agree with the text of the song...If I want to live in Spain, shouldn't I learn Spanish customs, laws, and language? The same should be expected of people in this country.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: English Speaking song

Post by MudDucker »

fishing 101 wrote:Wasn't the orginal discussion about speaking English when living in this country??? How did y'all get so sidetracked??? Let me say this...I have traveled across this great country as well as abroad...Did you know that people in other countries actually speak their native language while living in their country. When someone moves to another country, they eventually learn that language...Is it too much to ask for folks entering our country to do the same? I happen to agree with the text of the song...If I want to live in Spain, shouldn't I learn Spanish customs, laws, and language? The same should be expected of people in this country.
Hey, don't be trying to untrack this sidetracked thread :smt005

If I go somewhere very long, I want to learn how to communicate with something other than sign language. :thumbup: