To the idiot boater at Spring Warrior....

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: To the idiot boater at Spring Warrior....

Post by Reel Cowboy »

GaryDroze wrote: It's not illegal to fish near the channels, but you gotta assume your day will be ruined.
You're right but it is IN the channel.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:I was running out the river at Ecofina in my skiff(at 20 mph on plane), and this idiot blows around me at 10' distance and gave all in my boat an unwelcome shower. :smt011

Given the option of slowing down & hitting bottom or getting somebody a little wet, what would you do?
Actually it was just past the nowake where you can run no problem till you get near the mouth. He was just some impatient A hole that could have given us a wider berth.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:I was running out the river at Ecofina in my skiff(at 20 mph on plane), and this idiot blows around me at 10' distance and gave all in my boat an unwelcome shower. :smt011

Given the option of slowing down & hitting bottom or getting somebody a little wet, what would you do?
Actually it was just past the nowake where you can run no problem till you get near the mouth. He was just some impatient A hole that could have given us a wider berth.

Which no wake zone? At the ramp or around the island?
Either place, depending on the tide, will tear stuff up with a quickness if you're not in the middle. Speed up or move over.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:

Which no wake zone? At the ramp or around the island?
Either place, depending on the tide, will tear stuff up with a quickness if you're not in the middle. Speed up or move over.
That’s just wrong. The Ecofina with it’s narrow channel & quick turns is no place for speeding cowboys. There are always a number of small and or slow vessels navigating it waters. At any time and around any of its bends you might have to suddenly come off plane to avoid a collision or avoid having your wake swamp a small vessel. You don’t have a right to go fast at everyone else’s expense. Not in that river. If you can’t come off plane without damaging your boat, then you don’t have enough water to safely navigate the river at that time and you are unsafe. Do us all a favor and wait for a better tide or go to the St. Marks where you can run as fast as you want with plenty of room to pass at any time! I like to run Ecky at WOT myself but, I only do it in those areas where I’m not endangering others. Boater’s who aren’t courteous to others give all boater’s a bad name.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

goes both ways. If your boat isn't seaworthy enough to endure a wake then launch at Nutall Rise and stay to the north or launch at HM. Alternatively, don't be a jerk if you don't have to be. I won't hit you and my boat doesn't throw a big wake when on plane, but don't expect it to sit down when the tide is between 1.5 and -.5 either. Less than -.5 the river is all yours and more than 1.5 no problem dropping off plane.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

SHOWBOAT wrote: don't be a jerk if you don't have to be.
Did you even read what you wrote there my friend?

Most boats don't put off much wake on plane. What probably got him is his wake hitting the wake of another boat. But I'm sure I'm wrong.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It seems neither of you read what the man said.
He said,
this idiot blows around me at 10' distance and gave all in my boat an unwelcome shower. :smt011
Had nothing to do with wake.
It was spray from the other boat 10 feet away.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

:pop_1
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

DEMON wrote: That’s just wrong. The Ecofina with it’s narrow channel & quick turns is no place for speeding cowboys. There are always a number of small and or slow vessels navigating it waters. At any time and around any of its bends you might have to suddenly come off plane to avoid a collision or avoid having your wake swamp a small vessel. You don’t have a right to go fast at everyone else’s expense. Not in that river. If you can’t come off plane without damaging your boat, then you don’t have enough water to safely navigate the river at that time and you are unsafe. Do us all a favor and wait for a better tide or go to the St. Marks where you can run as fast as you want with plenty of room to pass at any time! I like to run Ecky at WOT myself but, I only do it in those areas where I’m not endangering others. Boater’s who aren’t courteous to others give all boater’s a bad name.

:smt023 :smt023

That about sums it up!

As for the OP breakdown of what happened to him, I know the area well, and there is no reason that peckerwood couldn't have run out farther offshore and completely avoided slayer! That is just a rude, inconsiderate DA....

As for the other incident at Econfina, I haven't read an excuse in this thread yet that justifies running close enough to spray another boat. Regardless of where you are. I guess I just have a different opinion of what good boating ettiquete is from others on here. I guess growing up fishing LakeTalquin regularly, I learned you just don't run on plane close to another boat. By close I mean 100 yards in open water. As for running in sketchy areas, like leading into Spring Warrior, you can see the other boat from WWAAYY off. They are there first and have every right to be there, therefor they deserve the courtesy of me altering my course or dropping off plane before it gets too shallow to drop off plane and idling around them if I have to. Yes it's a pain n the ass sometimes, but to me, it is just the right thing to do.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

well said Daze
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Dial Tone

Post by Dial Tone »

Be careful...Im with MudDucker ..... there are some people in the flat woods you do not want to fool with. The also think they own that area of the ocean. On a brighter note I thought I saw you friday and tried to call on 16. We limited out after the same gentleman you mentioned gave us his spot complete with marker.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I have been following the on going story, and I think that this horse has been beat down pretty good. Lets all go out and show the others how to play nice