BOAT RAMPS ON ST GEORGE

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

gypsea

BOAT RAMPS ON ST GEORGE

Post by gypsea »

Was hoping someone could tell me a little about launching a boat from St George. Am going to rent a beach house on the east end and was wondering if one of the two ramps in Julian Bruce State Park would handle my 20' Angler. It's a 204fxle deep V. I'm not even sure if you can drive as far as the ramps yet. I don't know how far back they are. The chart doesn't show much depth from the ramp out to the channel but that don't mean too much. I need speriance. Thanks. For all I know, they may be canoe ramps. :-D
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

The second ramp in the state park is good enough, get there early though there is very little parking. I have put my 20' sailfish in there many times. Take it very slow until you get out of the cove, there are oyster bars everywhere. IMO it is better than the one at the bridge (or used to be anyway).
What are you fishing for?
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I thought the state park was still closed after Dennis came through. Can you even get to the ramps on the east end?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

This is what the website says:

Manager's Message
Immediately after the damage caused by Hurricane Dennis in July of 2005 reconstruction plans were under way to rebuild the park. Debris removal is complete. A total of 340 tons of debris has been removed by park staff and 64,000 cubic yards of sand has been moved from roadways including the East End access road which will remain closed until all park repairs have been completed.

The new park office has been completed and is now open. The park will resume collecting entrance fees on May 1, 2006 at a reduced rate of $3.00 per vehicle with up to eight people and $1.00 for pedestrians, motorcyclists and bicyclists. Construction of two beach restrooms, boardwalks, parking areas and two miles of paved road has begun and is projected to be complete later this summer. The long but very important process of permitting the reconstruction of the park is complete. The park will remain open to the Youth Camp road during the construction project.

All camping (including youth and primitive) will remain closed until further notice. For park updates or other information, please call our office at(850)927-2111.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

I think the first ramp is open in the youth camp. I am not sure about the second. As for the ramp at the bridge. If you fish higher tides you will have no problem getting in or out. Or just go across the bay to the APP ramp.
gypsea

Post by gypsea »

So where is the best place to launch from St George? I called the park and they told me that only the youth camp ramp is open so that's out. I don't really want to have to go any further than App. Thanks.
beerfish

Post by beerfish »

ramp at the bridge :thumbup:
gypsea

Post by gypsea »

Thanks