Tarpon Tales and Tips

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Tarpon Tales and Tips

Post by Apalach »

For those of us interested in hooking a tarpon from a yak, here are some interesting tidbits of info from some who (may) know.

Methods vary for catching Tarpon
By JAY MASTRY, Times Correspondent
Published June 10, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirror calm seas in the mornings have provided the opportunity to witness schools of rolling tarpon along the Gulf Beaches all week. From Clearwater to Boca Grande reports have been similar and St. Pete Beach is among the best bets.

Tuesday morning we counted two dozen schools of silver kings while idling between Blind's Pass and Pass-A-Grille Pass. Some were moving hard, seemingly determined to get to a destination south of here. Others were just milling, up and down schools that didn't appear to be in a hurry to get anywhere. Those will be the most likely to chew when baits are presented properly.

Don't waste a lot of time on schools that are traveling fast. Though they may appear often and are easy to track, they seldom eat in that mode. A rule of thumb to fish by is, if you can't get ahead of a school of tarpon when idling, let it go. Time spent will be counter-productive.

Methods of tarpon fishing in the area are as varied as the tackle and the baits used to catch them. Some prefer to sight cast to schools of migrating fish. The successful ones position themselves well ahead of an oncoming school and flyline greenbacks, pinfish, or small crabs to the approaching bunch. Another option is to suspend those same baits beneath a cork to keep baits off the bottom and in the strike zone. Yet another technique is to bottom fish for them with an assortment of baits. Mullet, ladyfish, pinfish, and grunts all run a distant second to shad.

When tarpon fishing our area's bridges,a combination of these methods is most effective. When the tide is rolling, flipping a live greenback up tide and letting it drift back naturally in the current is the most productive way to get bit.

On and around the new and full moons the passes on either side of Egmont Key get a lot of attention. Drifting the late afternoon outgoing tides is most popular. Some will rig a 4 to 6 ounce weight on their leader with a length of copper wire, bound loose enough to detach when the fish strikes. This technique allows baits to get down near the bottom when drifting in a ripping tide. Still others will hover over the area where fish have rolled and present pass crabs, greenbacks, or white bait to them near the surface.

Tackle is generally dictated by which style and bait you choose. When bottom fishing, I like an 8- to 9-foot rod. The extra length allows for longer casts if necessary. Reels should have capacity for 300 yards of 50 lb. test. A six-foot leader of 150 lb. test monofilament will prevent breaks by tail whipping and won't wear through, even in a long battle. A 9 ought hook works well with large baits like shad.

The key to live baiting is making the offering as natural as possible. Downsizing tackle is a must. Lighter hooks allow baits to swim freely and not be as obvious. A shorter shank 4 or 5 ought livebait hook matches smaller baits. Lighter line is easier to cast and lighter leader won't weigh your baits down.

Real Florida: Tangling with tarpon

By JEFF KLINKENBERG, Times Staff Writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published August 8, 2002
Almost dawn. Still dark out. Jay Mastry perches in the stern of his boat watching the Gulf of Mexico. He isn't tired, but he should be. Last night he got five hours' sleep. Night before, even less.

It's tarpon season, and tarpon season is a big deal if your name is Mastry. A tarpon is a hefty prehistoric fish with large eyes, huge silver scales and a penchant for deep dives and flying leaps the moment it feels the prick of a sharp hook in its anvil jaw.

Jay Mastry spends much of his summer trying to catch tarpon. It's a family tradition that goes back more than a half century. His daddy, the late Jimmy Mastry, was one of the best tarpon fishers Tampa Bay ever knew. So was his Uncle Lay. And it goes on and on. Another uncle, Johnny, died of heart failure in 1967 -- in a boat, accompanied by his son, while fighting a huge tarpon. "When it's my time, that's how I want to go, too," says Jay Mastry.

He is only 49. He smokes Marlboros, but he's otherwise in fighting shape. You have to be in fighting shape to take on a tarpon. In 1952, a Largo angler battled a huge tarpon up and down the Clearwater waterfront for 181/2 hours until the hook broke. The big-one-that-got-away made national headlines.

When Mastry was 17, he took his 15-year-old cousin Larry on a fishing trip. Larry hooked a big tarpon. It was what the Mastrys call a "mean fish," one that seems stronger and more determined than others. An hour went. Then two hours. A thunderstorm blew up over the bay. Lightning flashed too close for comfort.

Finally, after three hours, Jay Mastry dragged the tarpon into the boat with a gaff. Still not licked, the tarpon thrashed and jumped and broke an ice chest and fishing rods. It weighed 106 pounds.

A 106-pound tarpon is a good one. But they get bigger. Earlier this summer, somebody caught a record 224-pounder in Tampa Bay. For a while it was stored in the freezer at Mastry's Bait and Tackle where it could be admired by gape-jawed anglers. The tackle store is owned by Larry Mastry, Jay's cousin, the one who caught the three-hour thunderstorm tarpon long ago.

There are dozens of Mastrys living in St. Petersburg and surrounding municipalities. Mastrys are doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants, Realtors, homemakers, stock brokers, boat builders and other things. But if you ask they'll say, "I'm a tarpon fisherman."

The Tampa Bay way

The sun is about 2 inches above Bradenton Beach a quarter of a mile away. The water is 14 feet deep and a little dirty. Incoming tide. A southwest wind. Gulls squawk above Mastry's 22-foot boat, and pelicans give him the once-over as they flap toward a school of distant bait fish. "We should see tarpon here," he says. "But you never know."

Yesterday he fished in the Manatee River. The day before he was in Tampa Bay. Sometimes, he fishes under the Sunshine Skyway bridge and at other times off the Don CeSar resort at St. Petersburg Beach. How does he know where to fish? Depends on tide and bait. And of course he knows the secret stuff Mastrys have passed on from father to son for generations. Sometimes, if someone asks where he caught a tarpon, he'll say: "in the mouth."

He caught his first four decades ago. It was little, and his Uncle Johnny, the one who later died of a heart attack, pulled it into the boat. He has caught hundreds since. In 1990, he caught a 127-pounder that won the Suncoast Tarpon Roundup's Finale Day. The roundup is Florida's oldest fishing tournament. His cousin Larry won the tournament last year. His dad won it once, and so did uncles Lay and Mike. The Mastrys practically own it.

His dad and his Uncle Lay opened their bar a few years before the tarpon tournament was born. They called the bar the Pink Elephant. It was 1935 and prohibition had recently ended. The bar, now Mastry's Bar and Grille on Central Avenue in downtown St. Petersburg, is going strong today. Jay and his cousin, Rick, Lay's son, own it. At 8 a.m., when the bar opens, the crusty blue-haired bartender, Beverly Kaminski, approaches the huge ice lockers with apprehension. Sometimes they contain a huge tarpon or tomorrow's bait.

She's about the only person at the bar who cares nada about tarpon fishing. Justin Mastry, Rick's son and bartender, recently bought a boat and hopes to become a tarpon guide. BJ Young, another bartender, eats and sleeps tarpon fishing.

Hanging above and behind the bar are stuffed tarpon. Photographs of tarpon decorate the wall. The sign below a dirty mirror says: Even A Fish Would Not Get Into Trouble If He Kept His Mouth Shut. In the late afternoon, fishermen take out their tackle, and right there on the bar start working on it to prepare for tomorrow.

In other parts of Florida, the trendy thing is fly fishing for tarpon. It's become a gentrified sport, in some ways, with white-collared anglers paying hundreds of dollars for rods and for clothing from the latest Orvis catalog. But not at Mastry's, whose blue-collared fishermen wear sleeveless T-shirts, shorts, flip flops and two-day beards. And they fish the old-fashioned Tampa Bay way, the Mastry way, with dead menhaden soaked on the bottom.

Catching a lion by the tail

Seven a.m. Wind stronger. Seven baits out. No tarpon. Sun hot already. Sometimes after he closes the bar, Jay Mastry jumps into his boat and nets bait. He sleeps for a couple of hours, then rises at 4:30 a.m. to go tarpon fishing. Sometimes he guides people for pay, but most often he takes his girlfriend, pals and relatives

In the boat today are Don Kearney, 70; Kenny Kleber, 18; Brian Crisp, 14; and BJ Young, 30. Kleber's 150-pound tarpon, caught from Mastry's boat, leads the tournament. Kearney's 130-pounder is second in the senior division. Crisp has caught and released 17 tarpon already this summer and leads the tournament's junior division.

Tarpon have no food value; the flesh is red and mushy. That may be why the tarpon, unlike commercially valuable fish, are in good supply. Still, anglers are careful. Few tarpon are ever caught and killed. They are hauled to the boat, admired and released alive.
Tarpon fishing is a primal experience. Imagine sneaking up on a lion and grabbing its tail. If the lion doesn't bite you, it probably will run and drag you. That's how it is with tarpon fishing. One second you're holding a rod. The line tightens. The rod tip twitches. Then bows down. You grab the rod and pull back hard. You feel an impossibly heavy weight, and then away it bolts, an underwater lion. The water erupts and this huge silver apparition comes flying out, and it's shaking its head, and the gills are rattling, and then it dives deep again. You're connected to something powerful, wild.
The real thing
Very hot and windy. 9:23 a.m. No chance of seeing a tarpon in the rough water. Strike! Stern rod. An enormous tarpon, all belly, catapults out of the water. Don Kearney's rod. "Set the hook!" somebody yells. The heavy rod bends into a 'u'. Starting the engine, Mastry gives chase. The fish has taken half of the reel's 300 yards of line. No sewing thread, the line theoretically could lift 50 pounds of dead weight. That still is too weak for this tarpon. The trick is to let the tarpon have line an instant before the breaking point is reached. Then when the tarpon stops swimming, pull back on the rod and start reeling

As Mastry chases the fish, Kearney reels frantically. Ten minutes. Fifteen. The fish senses the boat and lunges away. Once more it's a football field distant. It's a big fish. It could be 120 pounds, but might be 135 pounds. A 135-pounder would put Kearney in the tournament lead for the senior division. The fish circles the boat. Another five minutes. Kearney gains line, loses line, gains line.
Mastry offers no advice; Kearney has been catching tarpon for six decades. He knows how. But the younger anglers are free with advice and teasing and even Kearney has to grin. Tarpon fishing is a brutal sport, a younger person's game. One day they'll know.

The fish is closer now, close enough to touch. It's 7 feet of silver thug. The young guy with the gaff gets ready to drag it into the boat. Gone. The line, it broke. You could hear the pop above the cry of the gulls.

A few random notes off the Web:

Fish Angler Weight Length
(inches) Date Location State Country
Tarpon Thomas Gibson 230 lb. 0 oz. 8/1/93 Gulf of Mexico, West Delta Block Louisiana United States

Tarpon S. B. Kiser 154 lb. 10 oz. 1987 Atlantic Ocean, Hilton Head South Carolina United States

Tarpon Thomas Gibson, Jr. 210 lb. 0 oz. 86.25 11/13/73 Gulf of Mexico Texas United States

Hook em and Hold em
Submitted by: Adam Forcade

According to Adam Forcade, this tip is helpful when Catching Tarpon:
When tossing plugs for tarpon, use a pliers and flatten the barbs on the treble hooks- They will set MUCH easier but be careful not to allow slack or they will throw it.

abcarias

Good information

Post by abcarias »

This will make for good reading while Im away for a few days. Wouldnt it be great if someone with (local) knowledge shared their experience catching North Florida Tarpon (maybe fed us a few suggestions) I drowned some crabs and live mullet today along the Ocl river channel (very windy) to no avail. Someone at the landing saw a Tarpon crashing bait right at the shoreline. Lets drink a beer and plot catching a big fish next week Dick!
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Tarpon

Post by Apalach »

I hear ya Steve! I think the first order of business should be to pick the most likely launch site nearest the tarpon grounds--but it sounds like you are already on that! Couple of friends who have caught smaller tarpon from yaks in South Florida have picked them up more or less accidentally, but it looks like it might have to be more of a targeted kind of thing for us, since you can't use your old trout rod for these babies, if they are of any size. Let me know when you get back from your conference, and we will see whassup.

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Nice article.
I've seen Tarpon everytime I've returned to the same spot I jumped one with my fly rod. It's accessible and that's where I expect to get one.
I don't have much time to get on-line these days but I fly by once in awhile. My few mornings to fish I've been lucky enough to have a boat available so I've been on Dog Island Shoal. A beautiful place that is.
Meanwhile, mister DM:
[quote="Apalach"] So far, I haven't seen even a hint of any serious planning along these lines by the yak community--just, â€
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Plan to join us DM
Jeff,
Definitely--in fact Steve and I have alreeady been talking about it. We tried to set up a date for cobia and/or tarpon before he had to leave town this past weekend. Maybe in the next week or so, if you can handle it!

I need to rig some heavier duty mono/fluoro on my Shimano Baitrunner 650 before then however--I may go with 50 lb, as the post above recommends. What about you--you going to be a real sport and use your fairy wand, or are you going to rig with something that will hold up to the action?? :-D

Image[/i]
abcarias

Lets set something up for next week - Im back Friday

Post by abcarias »

Lets set something up for next week - Im back Friday. Last night I caught cudas on ultralight while watching the sun set over downtown Miami (Biscayne Bay). I knew those 3 piece travel rods would come in handy one day. There were fisherman in yaks but didnt talk to them. Gotta get back to my Linux training now. See you guys next week!
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

WTG Steve,
Sounds good to me--been meaning to ask--how do you plan to rig for tarpon? I'm curious especially about line and leader types and strengths, as well as types of lures/baits. Went down Saturday to get a drogue at Boater's World, but it looks as if they are sold out. They were so busy, with only one guy on the floor, that I couldn't get any info.
Later,
Dick

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

)
Apalach wrote:What about you--you going to be a real sport and use your fairy wand, or are you going to rig with something that will hold up to the action??

Ok, I'll bite. (at least you got a strategy decent enough to bait me :D )
I'll have my big stick.
(gotta run... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Litt,
In case you are looking for a more specialized big game rig for tarpon, I will be happy to loan you my special shark fishing combo with a 7/0 hook and 125 lb test leader installed. I know the hook and leader works, because that is what I caught my 8 foot sand tiger shark (about 250 lbs) on out at the K Tower some years ago—can’t vouch for the rest of the rig though! :-D

abcarias

Post by abcarias »

Apalach wrote:

how do you plan to rig for tarpon? I'm curious especially about line and leader types and strengths, as well as types of lures/baits.

The DVD has all this in it. Get it from Lit.

The only thing I can add is to make sure your knots are made well, your hooks are debarbed and sharp, your drag is set properly, and your line is at least 30lb with no nicks. Its called homework and if you dont do it, you are in for disappointment.

Last night I hooked a nice fish on a chunk of cuda. When it jumped I thought I had a baby tarpon. When I got the fish in, it was a monster lady fish (over 10lbs Id say). Who knows what Ill catch tonight, but its always good!
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Tarpon DVD

Post by Apalach »

abcarias wrote:
The DVD has all this in it. Get it from Lit.
Litt,
Any way I might be able to borrow the tarpon DVD?? You going to be around FSU any time soon? If so, perhaps you could drop it in the campus mail to me in Unit 1. Or, maybe I could meet you somehere for a pickup?? What's your pleasure? Thanks.
Dick
abcarias

about the DVD

Post by abcarias »

Apalach....if you can get the dvd to Ron after you view I'd appreciate it. He has been waiting on it a while. Thanks!!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Hey There Apalach, I'll pass the DVD though H and get it in your mail box. :thumbup: :thumbup:
RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

Post by RonHarrison »

Dick, just call or PM me when you're done and I'll gladly come get it!
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .