New Camera: Wade-fishing at Shell Point/Oyster Bay

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

New Camera: Wade-fishing at Shell Point/Oyster Bay

Post by Apalach »

Just got my new waterproof Pentax Optio W10 for use in yakfishing, and tried it out for the first time while wadefishing this past weekend.

Works great, can actually take pics underwater to a depth of 5 feet for 30 minutes, and has a fantastic AF macro from 0.4 to 24 inches. Caught a 20 inch trout, an 16 inch ladyfish (to be saved for tarpon bait), and about a 12 inch needlefish that was a nice test for the macro capabilities (look at them choppers!).

Last edited by Apalach on July 19th, 2006, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Nice pictures! :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Very nice pics. Please provide details about the camera, please.
What was I supposed to do today?
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Camera

Post by Apalach »

Sho 'nuff TC. I have been looking at these Pentax UW-style cameras for the past year or so, but there were no local dealers that carried them in stock, since I like to look at them up close and personal before purchase. Finally, I noticed that Circuit City has begun carrying them, and that is where I got mine--$299.95. There are a number of these cameras out there that are also pretty good, but the Pentax Optio models have by far the best macro capabilities that I have found on a top-notch digicam. Check out my favorite Web site for these (and other) digitals--Steve's Digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_rev ... o_w10.html

Also, here is a complete listing of all these weather resistant cameras with specs:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html

Have fun!
Dick

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

You can always get reviews from http://www.dpreview.com
abcarias

Photos of the author of this post in his back yard

Post by abcarias »

Apalach the man...no...the fisherman!

He's pretty good at catching reds to! Enjoyed our excusrion today Dick. Keep practicing with that flyrod!! :thumbup:
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Shell Pt.

Post by Apalach »

Here are a couple of pics from Steve and my cobia hunting expedition out of Shell Point on Friday, 7/21. Unfortunately, the cobes must have heard that Steve was hot on their tail, and abandoned their usual haunts for parts unknown. However Steve made up for it with a nice 20 inch trout, while I managed a 20 inch red (released). Enjoyed it Steve-thanks for the company.

abcarias

I finally broke down and bought one today

Post by abcarias »

I finally broke down and bought one today (Optio W10). They have them at Circuit City and I had them look up the price on their own web site which was $50.00 less then the store and they matched the price $249.00. They have a one gig memory stick for $28.00 with rebate. Now I just need to learn how to use all the fancy functions before I hookup on another Tarpon. Stay tuned! Thanks for encouraging me to join the digital age Dick!

¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>