St. Mark's 7-21/22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

St. Mark's 7-21/22

Post by Ron Wilson »

Took the kids to St. Mark's for a Fri/Sat fishing trip. Stayed at Shell Island fish camp, and as usual, it was a good time. Other than the hot weather, we had a great time. Saw lots, though we didn't catch a lot. Started each morning (first light) in about 5 feet of water outside the lighthouse catching pins/grunts, and floated a pin or two while we were getting the bait. Managed a couple keeper trout each day in 5 foot, and several sharks. Headed out to 10-12 feet mid-morning and tried some deeper water; managed to pick up another keeper trout and several short black sea bass. Each day around 12:00, we trolled out to the St. Mark's reef. Saw sharks feeding on top, a sea turtle and many angel fish. A blue or spanish would cut through now and then. Did manage a short cobia and a large nurse shark. I thought it went 7-8 feet, but my son swore it went 9-10. After I got it to the surface, we passed the pole around to let the kids fight for a couple minutes before cutting it loose. We did pick up 5 spanish and one blue trolling. All-in-all a great time, and can't wait until we get back at it. Oh yeah, saw gators in the river on the way out, and manatees at the Shell Island boat dock.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Not sure what I did wrong, but it appears I widened the margins on this post. My apologies.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Looks and sounds like you all had a BIG time... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Next time use a lower resolution on your camera. The pictures will show up smaller... Nice shots :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice trip Major :thumbup: :thumbup: .....Resize the images to 320x240....imageshack will do it for you....Keep them reports coming :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tell them MCLB folks I said hello :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Hey Jim,
My thanking you for assistance/info is sounding like a broken record, but thanks.

Separate issue: I made a donation to the site, but noticed it was "fixed" at $10.00. Is there a max donation amount?

Ron
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good job, Ron. Sounds like the kids had a big time. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

D$%! Meant that last post to be a PM. I give up.............for tonight.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Tom only dances for $10, no more, no less :wink: :lol:

If you want to donate more write a check and send to the address on the donation page http://www.bigbendfishing.net/sponsorship.htm
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice report and pictures. :D
georgiasportsman

Post by georgiasportsman »

That's a big shark! Looks like you guys had a great time. My dad retired a few years ago from MCLB after 20 years there and 20 years in the Navy. Chalk, what are your ties to MCLB?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

georgiasportsman wrote:That's a big shark! Looks like you guys had a great time. My dad retired a few years ago from MCLB after 20 years there and 20 years in the Navy. Chalk, what are your ties to MCLB?
I worked there for 15 years prior to transferring to Panama City, alot of good memories...What is his name, I might know him
georgiasportsman

Post by georgiasportsman »

Vernon Wilbanks
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

more folks with ties to the military. I knew i was in good company :beer:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Name sounds familiar, can't place him though....
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

O.K. I think I fixed the size, and even threw a pic of a small gator that went across our bow on the way out of the river (in the no wake zone). Thanks to all who helped with this.