Porter Skeg Guard

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RiverRunner

Porter Skeg Guard

Post by RiverRunner »

Well, I picked up my Yammie 25 from Wavel, he put his "custom" skeg guard on, in what I think is record time. I dropped it off yesterday morning about 10:00 a.m. and he said it should be ready by Wednesday. Well, he called me today at 12:30 and said she was ready to go. :thumbup: I just wanted to say how pleased I was and say what a great guy I think he is. I was able to check out his custom house boat and also got to see some of the guards that came back to him. Somebody(no names :lol: ) has already went though two of them :o He said that he only knows one speed WOT. Anyways, I could see that the guard helped alot. I haven't got any pics yet, but it looks just like Rockets in the for sale section......well of course I think mine looks better :smt005

Later
T-ravis
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I'm interested in one, how much for a 25hp ?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Just give Mr. Porter a call, the number is (850) 421-1490. I know he probably won't be there until after 3:30-4:00 this afternoon. He was coming into town today.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I have flirted with the idea. I just don't want to have the boat there over a weekend. He did tell me that if I got it to him on a Monday he would have it ready to go on a Friday. I just have to get organized.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Luke. let me know how it comes out. Send photos if you have it done. Also I wonder if it will effect the top end on speed.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

TD, Wavel will tell you that you might lose 2 or 2 mph on the top end. But, having had one, it's well worth 3 mph of top end.
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Without a doubt, mine has paid for itself 3-4 times this year. Smartest money I ever spent. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Do you wanna race or do you wanna fish. Skeg guards are for fishing. If you are concerned about speed leave 3 minutes sooner. If you speed in fishing areas a skeg guard won't help(for the skeg or fishing).
rocket
Site Sponsor

Re: Porter Skeg Guard

Post by rocket »

RiverRunner wrote: but it looks just like Rockets in the for sale section......well of course I think mine looks better :smt005
If it looks good then you aint using it :-D
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Redbelly wrote:I'm interested in one, how much for a 25hp ?
buck 50 to a buck 75
Stay Thirsty My Friends
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

What Rocket said, for price. However, Wavel likes CASH. If you pay him cash, the price is usually a little less.
What was I supposed to do today?
RiverRunner

Re: Porter Skeg Guard

Post by RiverRunner »

rocket wrote:
RiverRunner wrote: but it looks just like Rockets in the for sale section......well of course I think mine looks better :smt005
If it looks good then you aint using it :-D
I ain't had a chance to use it yet...hahahaha. It will get a little work out this weekend. I'm heading to the Chipola River.

Yeah, your right on the price and on the cash thing, just didn't want to put it out there :smt009 that's why I said call him. :smt012
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

I've had one of Wavel's skag guards for 2 motors now, 10 years. Had to modify it a tad for new motor.

Hit a rock around the Rock Garden just moseying around and it cracked the housing around the prop. Skag guard was fine.

Took it back to Wavel and he welded the housing and said: It looks goodly!!! Still holding as far as I know!

Weakest point gives!!!
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Yeah, I skuffed up the housing this weekend on the Chipola, Skeg gaurd held up fine. It's good to know that Wavel can fix the housing also. Oh I forgot, Wavel can fix anything :thumbup:
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I messed-up the lower end on Saturday on a rock right in the middle of the @#$%^ channel going North into Lanark. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: