Installing Reflective Tape for Night Fishing/Travel

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Installing Reflective Tape for Night Fishing/Travel

Post by Apalach »

Before our GAFFE II trip to Mosquito Lagoon, I stocked up on reflective tape for my Trailex trailer and both my Hobie Sport and Outback. This retro-reflective tape goes by the official name of SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea), even though it is now required on all big rigs by the DOT. It stands out especially well because it reflects light back directly to the source for added visibility on either land or water. I got mine at Wal-Mart in the automotive department in the red/clear trucker's version, but KFS also sells it in rolls of the clear version. Now, this stuff is expensive no matter where you get it, so be prepared for some â€
abcarias

good idea but....

Post by abcarias »

I may get some of that stuff but I think I might be to chicken to paddle at night. I often launch a few minutes before day break and I think this tape is a good idea. I also put a lanyard on my whistle and have it in easy reach now. Still, paddling in the dark?....I don't think so!
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

If I were you, I would stay out of the channels at night...
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Good advice and remember the rules of Tonnage will always apply. I also use reflective rope on my anchor trolley and have reflective stickers on my paddles, so people can see my paddles going in and out of the water, and that catches their attention.
BlueDrifter

channel

Post by BlueDrifter »

Almost anywhere not marked as a channel is an anchorage. But boats run in our local waters as if they were in a channel....I know and cant Yak anymore because of it.

Not many in our area practice the rules of the road, not even Captain Anderson Dinner cruise boats nor our own Marine Patrol. Stories to tell therre too but not Yak Stories