There is a fish...

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

There is a fish...

Post by RonHarrison »

In Alligator Harbor, there is a fish. Steve (Abcarias) and I are going back to look at the fish on Saturday, August 26, 2006 at the crack of dawn. If you want to meet us there and see the fish, you are more than welcome. We look forward to having you come see the fish. The fish is good. All hail the fish!

Unless Steve has another spot in mind, we'll launch from the sand ramp/launch located at N29 55.407 W84 24.846. The fish is very close to there.

You do NOT want to miss the fish. The fish is good.
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I'll be there.
abcarias

I'll be there by 6:15 Saturday

Post by abcarias »

Unless the weather is bad Ill be there between 6:00 and 6:15 sat morn.
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Let me know if anything changes 850-210-9296, I'll be there a little before 6 to get in on some top water action.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I can't make it. August isn't much of a high priority but (jsuber) I do have to give a thumbs up on the Bald Point idea with all this warm water.
Meanwhile, What I will busy with tomorrow is buying a new kayak :D .
abcarias

Im loading the yak now

Post by abcarias »

Ill be at the sand ramp (AH) in the in the morning 6 ish. If no one shows Ill move down a little further with the truck (closer to St Theresa (about 3/4 mile down the road)) and launch there.

Are you selling your old boat Lit???
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Littoral

Re: Im loading the yak now

Post by Littoral »

abcarias wrote:Are you selling your old boat Lit???

No, love that one. I bought Blue Drifters. Now I can do the sit on top thing as well as take someone else in another kayak. :thumbup:
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Hail the Fish(?)

Post by Apalach »

OK--after all this hyper-hype by Ron about "THE FISH IS GOOD" and "ALL HAIL THE FISH", what happened? Did anyone show (fish included), weather abort or what?
abcarias

ughhhhhhhh

Post by abcarias »

I'll defer to Ron to tell this story. I didnt catch Jack, would have been happy with a Jack though :(. I did manage to throw my anchor out without it being tied on though. I was fishing like a rookie so packed it in early. :smt013 I think Jeff caught some blues and saw tarpon :thumbup:
Littoral

Re: ughhhhhhhh

Post by Littoral »

abcarias wrote: I did manage to throw my anchor out without it being tied on though.
Ooops. I threw my really nice mullet net a little while back and it wasn't looped around my hand. It was ~10ft deep but luckily the rope floated. Felt mighty rookie like.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

I did manage to throw my anchor out without it being tied on though.
Steve,
I know you're not a big fan of gear leashes, but dontcha think that's carrying things a bit too far? :-D

Sorry to hear that all the pre-game hype must have alerted "THE FISH" to be elsewhere on Saturday. Spies is everwhere... :smt013

Because of all the heat during the day, I tried some night fishing at Shell Point. Didn't matter whether it was a live pinfish under a float or a topwater, about all I got was this Skitterwalk Sunset.

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

There were plenty of Blues and Spanish just west of the first pier coming from the sand ramp. The Tarpon were putting on a show and I yelled for Ron and Ab but got no response. I couldn't keep the Blues off. I left kinda early to explore Ochlocknee Bay and ran into the rudest people over there. I paddled out to one kayaker and he pulled in all three rods, anchor, and blew me off as I thought out a quick howdy. I had to forcefully say "I said Hello" to get an acknowledgement then he hauled tail. So I set up to fish on an oyster bar about two hundred yards from another boat and a 38 ft or bigger Rampage drove right dead between us at full throttle. The oyster bar kept me from getting swamped but the 5 people in the jon boat about lost it. What a day. All i caught wre those blues and spanich so I called it a day.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

I paddled out to one kayaker and he pulled in all three rods, anchor, and blew me off as I thought out a quick howdy. I had to forcefully say "I said Hello" to get an acknowledgement then he hauled tail.
Hey j,
Man, what is the matter with these people? The CPBs I can understand (sort of), but I would not have expected that kind of response from another yaker.
He must have been afraid you were going to get the numbers for his numero uno honey hole! Anyway--glad someone had an interesting day catching-wise.

RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

Post by RonHarrison »

Hey there! Been at a dead run since I got back on Saturday. Any day out there is a good day. Some are definitely better than others, but this one was somewhere in the middle.

Struck out on getting a shark again, but had some other interesting action. Caught PLENTY of LARGE catfish on a Cajun Thunder with DOA shrimp tipped with frozen shrimp. Caught a decent Black Drum on a jig and hooked a couple of ladyfish on jigs. That was about it.

This makes my second trip out without a single seatrout. Weird. Seas were calm and there was lots of action in the water to observe. Can't wait to go again. Will probably hit some freshwater haunts on my next outings.

Thanks to Abcarias and Jsuber for making the trip!
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .