Lanark - 9-2-06

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Lanark - 9-2-06

Post by EddieJoe »

Lost my scalloping partner so decided to fish Lanark. Slid the boat in right at first light, with only a couple of boats ahead in the line. However, many had already left, as the lot had quite a few trailers in it already. Went over to Dog Island to net up some pilchards, and put a few in the live well. No larger white bait at the buoy, so headed beyond K-tower with frozen and a few livies. On the way, passed many schools of small minnows getting smacked by lady fish and macks in about 40' of water. At the first stop in 65', not much doing. Went over to K-tower, and it was covered up with bait. Sabikied up some, and drifted a big blue runner for AJ. No takers.
Went to spot 2 in 55' and drifted, a few grunts. Spot 3 in 55' yielded a nice red snapper and two big triggers, plus cut offs, hits and misses, and then quiet. After an hour of so grunt fishing decided it was time to go in and miss the crowds. The new boat handles very well, but with a t-top and spray canvas it handles a lot differently than the old boat, which had neither. A cross wind at anchor or underway will make it sail with the wind, requiring overcorrection on the helm or extra anchor scope to hold. Nothing bad, just something to get used to doing.

Having a t-top is great: it shades, mostly blocks the rain shower (which I hit twice, on a day it wasn't supposed to rain), with the spray shield keeps most of me dry in a cross wind chop and the sunglasses clean. Leaving the shield up also has another surprising benefit: blocking the wind from my upper body while underway increases comfort and makes me feel less beat up at the end of the day. Oh, another innovation I now have room for: An anchor ball! That is a fine device! :thumbup:

Now if I can just find some more fish!

Luck,

EJ
mojokoko

Post by mojokoko »

What is your new boat?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

mojokoko wrote:What is your new boat?

Pioneer 197, 19'10" cc w/ Suzie 150.

EJ
mojokoko

Post by mojokoko »

NICE! I just got a new 180 bay scout :D
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Anchor ball. :thumbup: :thumbup: Only way to go if you don't have a winch.

We hit those same showers that weren't supposed to be out there. :roll:

Good report, EJ
GULP! free since 1970.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Good going Ed, and a fine-looking craft!

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

It that your old boat behind the new one? :-D :-D :-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

mjsigns wrote:It that your old boat behind the new one? :-D :-D :-D

Naw, that's my new house :smt004 .

Here is old boat (17' Aquasport,in the foreground, that's my old home sunk in the background ;-) ):

EJ
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Apalach wrote:Good going Ed, and a fine-looking craft!

Thanks, Dick.

EJ