Target: Sheephead

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Target: Sheephead

Post by Redbelly »

How do you go about ketching these rascals this fall/winter?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

If you feel them bite, its too late to set the hook.

We have seen them a few times on top of oyster/sand bars on higher tides, but havent been able to get them to bite on anything. I dont think I have ever caught them on anything but live or frozen shrimp. And always on structure - bridges, piers, docks, rocks, bars, jetties.

My best day of sheepheads has been at the cut at st george.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Speargun. :lol:
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Charles wrote:Speargun. :lol:
Uhhh...I ain't jumping in this fall or winter...voluntarily that is.... :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

Anyplace there are concrete pilings will hold Sheephead. I drag ditches for crawfish and use them. They work fine. If you have a boat bring a scrapper to scrap the oysters and barnacles of of the concrete pilings and drop the crawfish in amongst the chum. You can also bring a five gallon bucket of sand to add to the chum. They have a very light bite, so as soon as you feel pressure set the hook. The colder the weather the better. Good Luck!
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Redbelly wrote:
Charles wrote:Speargun. :lol:
Uhhh...I ain't jumping in this fall or winter...voluntarily that is.... :D
If it feels cold, just remind yourself it's not really........compared to Nova Scotia....or Norway. :-D
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

Target the bridge pilings most any where in saltwater. Apalachicola is a a haven for the "Convict fish." Agreed with everybody else if you feel them bite it is most likely too late. Trying to catch them on shrimp can prove to be nerve racking. However, if you must try shrimp hook them in the head and use a small (but sturdy) hook. Fiddler crabs or any small legal crustacian is a great way to catch them. Barnicles or clams are said to be great chum, but I have never tried that. The St. George Island brindge and the 98 bridge to Apalch will keep you busy as long as you can stand it. And you can catch a variety of other species at the same time. We fished apalchicola Fri., Sat. and Sun. and the action was hot. Did not catch any Sheeps, but we did not try. Last year during October we caught several nice sheeps under the 98 bridge about half way between East Point and Apalach.
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

I see that you live in T'ville. I could always use someone to fish or hunt with. Shoot me a meesage when you want to go.
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Thanks for the info. I just got reminded that next week is fall break for the kids. Under pressure to rent something at St. George.
(twist my arm please :) )

So I may get some bridge fishing in down that way.

Also just read about a way to ketchem.

Wrap oyster up in cheesecloth on a #1 hook. They nibble and get taste but no eats, get frustrated and swallow the whole bait.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
SIGN4U

Post by SIGN4U »

Redbelly wrote:Thanks for the info. I just got reminded that next week is fall break for the kids. Under pressure to rent something at St. George.
(twist my arm please :) )

So I may get some bridge fishing in down that way.

Also just read about a way to ketchem.

Wrap oyster up in cheesecloth on a #1 hook. They nibble and get taste but no eats, get frustrated and swallow the whole bait.
Never tried the oyster & cheesecloth thing :thumbup:Catch a few around docks in dickerson bay.
1-850-Bay-Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by 1-850-Bay-Fish »

you have got to love the fight ,but cleaning a limit will hurt ya !!

[[img][img]http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pi ... 009_10.jpg[/img]
[/img]
nothing is free except cheese and its in a mouse trap
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

DANG....them's some big saltwater brimfs!! :o
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

1-850-Bay-Fish wrote:you have got to love the fight ,but cleaning a limit will hurt ya !!
Be sure and wear good protective gloves and an electric knife sure helps! Great eating for sure!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Saw many of them just off of the ramp on the island side of the bridge @ St. George last w/e around the oyster bars and near the "3 crosses". Also have has good luck at Sykes cut on the outside of the jetties. I used a small circle hook with 10lb floro. leader and as much weight as it took to hold it on the bottom. I used about a 12" leader and small cut squid.
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Go to Wakulla beach and grab you a gallon jug of fiddler's. Go to any of the pilings or channel markers in St Marks and add a small split shot about 8 inches above the hook. Slowly jig them up and down and when you see the line get tight, set the hook! They're fun to catch but a booger to fillet. :thumbup:
Electric knives make em a lot easier! :thumbup:
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....