Saltmarsh Creeks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Saltmarsh Creeks

Post by Flats Rascal »

Saltmarsh creeks provide rewarding fishing outing

Community outdoors column by Rick Farren
Tallahassee Democrat

Twenty years ago, fishing the saltmarsh creeks of the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge was one of the worst-kept secrets among Apalachee Bay anglers. I had one “friendâ€
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
Chalk

Re: Saltmarsh Creeks

Post by Chalk »

Rick Farren wrote:
I personally got more enjoyment out of discovering small, less traveled creeks that I named based on a unique piece of structure or vegetation such as Small Island Creek or Cabbage Palm Creek. One of my favorites I named Fred's Hole, after spotting an angler friend of mine disappear into a tiny, hidden opening in the marsh that I later found led to a narrow, deep trough that often held redfish and trout during the colder months. Fred didn't see me because I was sitting well offshore watching through a pair of binoculars to see where he was fishing.

We all have our methods.
I bet Rick won't receive a Christmas card from Fred :lol:
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

I do not know if the article is talking about the same area as I have fished, but can you not access these creeks from the Apalachicola river? When I was down there in July I was able to catch a variety of fish at the mouth of the different creeks or rivers that poured into the bay. I caught several Reds, a sheephead, and several large trout on a large gold spoon. I also caught two pretty good flounder on a shallow point by gigging a spinner bait that I use for bass fishing. I will be headed that way again in a few weeks, just wondering if the fishing should be better or worse in those areas. I know when I was there most anglers were in the bay, I pretty much had the places I fished to myself the whole time I was there.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

In a few weeks, those places should be the hot spots :thumbup: but a lot of the anglers who was fishing the bay will also be fishing them at that time :smt012
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

The map I was using indicated I was fishing the St. Marks river, just wondering if it is the same St. Marks I see people posting about on here? I don't remember seeing a lighthouse. As a matter of fact I had to go up around and down some creeks or rivers to get to it. I don't know if the article is talking about the same area I am fishing but there is know way I would try to access those areas via bay, unless there is something I am unaware of, because the water once I got out of the mouth was extremly shallow. I did see a bunch of big pan sized crabs along the bottom if I had my dip net with me I would have had some crab, but I was not going to get in the water with the Gators. Man talking about this stuff is getting me fired up. I can't wait to get back down there. Especially since you said it was going to or should be better fishing in a couple of weeks. Who knows I may run into some of you folks, I will probably be the only guy there fishing out of a blue and white Ranger bass boat, so if any of you guys see me come over and say hello.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

There is a St. Marks along the Apalachicola river as well as the one located in Wakulla :-D It can get confusing :smt012 :beer:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

You can see the St Marks river on the left hand side here in the Apalachicola Bay :-D
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... Y=1028&W=3

And the Saint Marks river coming from the top here and going into the Ochlockonee Bay "two different rivers" :beer:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T ... Y=1041&W=3
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Thanks for the maps :thumbup: Boy the St. Marks area in Wakulla looks like there could be some good fishing there.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

There is OUTSTANDING fishing there :-D I prefer to stay just a tad West of there "away from the Rock Garden" :wink: :-D :beer:
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Tennessee Dude,

All of those Apalach drains are holding fish and should until sometime in January as long as the river stays low. If the river gets high trailer your boat to Whiskey George.

The names do get confusing, Both areas have a St Marks River and a East River. The Apalach also has the Little St. Marks River. All of these drains are good safe places to fish.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Thanks for the info. Ty one on, I really like your boat wish I had one of the flats boats, but can't bring myself to part with my Ranger. Really in that area all I have fished is the Ap. river, those drains, and the bay behind St. Gearge. Just wondering if there is a marina/hotel up in the St. Marks area in Wakulla? By the way were is that George Whiskey place you suggested?
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

There is a marina and place to stay up the St. Marks and Wakulla River.

http://www.shellislandfishcamp.com/page2.htm

Whiskey George is a creek on the east side of the Apalachicola bay off of highway 65 north of Eastpoint about 7 miles. This creek drains Tate's Hell Swamp so it is not affected by the big river.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Called and talked to some sweet lady on the phone. She said November is the peek fall fishing time. As soon as our football season is over Im there. We play our county rival tomarrow night, if we loose it's over. I hope we play into December, but things are not looking good. Too many injuries to key players. Anyway back to fishing, I may be asking suggestions about some community holes from the Marina. $60 a night, sure beats what I was paying on ST. George.
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Hey guys, I am leaving tomarrow headed to St. Marks. Will be fishing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We will be puting in at the Shell marina, any suggestions where to go from there?
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Post by reel therapy »

It's all pretty new to me, Tennessee. Just go to the mouth of the river and pick an oyster bar--though i caught a few reds less than 100 yards from the shell island ramp last week.

Or head out beyond the mouth of the river following the channel to the lighthouse and then go east (there's plenty of trout scattered on those flats)--and I'm sure that plenty of guys on here can tell you where to go from there (e.g. particular creek mouths) which I'd sure like to know myself.

:beer: