Advice on Putting in at Econfina

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Soccerdad

Advice on Putting in at Econfina

Post by Soccerdad »

My son in law and I generally put in at Keaton Beach but want to try launching at the Econfina. Any free advice? We use an 18 foot bass boat (alum) that drafts about 18 inches of water .. another friend has said that rocks in the river can kill ya. We could use a canoe but then he'd have to paddle me for 2 miles .. plus tend bar, bait my hook, net the fish and pamper me in general. Might tire the poor boy out. Is the river OK at modest tide? It looks like we could lauch Saturday (11th) at the mid point of an outgoing tide and return at midpoint of an incoming.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You should have no trouble. Stay in the center of the river.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There is a large rock pile just below the idle zone. Once you're past it, you should be OK.
What was I supposed to do today?
UFgator

Post by UFgator »

get insurance on your boat :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

What they said, but you don't need to stay in the middle from the last bend to the mouth, a little to the right and then back left....there is a map on here somewhere think Tom did it, but I can't find it
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Here are the spots to look out for. I will warn you, there are also some rocks out in the open water, just go slow until you are in 3 or so feet of water. If you go out with a 1.5 or above, you should be fine. Anything below 1.5, and you are taking chances in my opinion.

Dubble :-D

PS: The markers are tiny and home-made. You will have to look close for them.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

I agree with Tin Can. On your way out you will get to the No Wake Zone around the island. Just as you leave the no wake zone stay to the outside (right side) of the river around that curve. Once you get past that first curve past the no wake zone stay to the middle of the river. As you get to the mouth of the river, stay on plane. It gets really shallow but just a sandy bottom (don't think you'll have any trouble between tides). On low tide you can get stuck outside or inside the river mouth. I have got out and pushed on more than one occassion but no harm done. Just leave me a few fish.

Good Luck !!!!!
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Nice job, Dubble. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

Many many thanks. You are all most helpful. It helps to know where those rocks are. I may dash the son-in-law on one of those rocks and steal his boat. But only if he out-fishes me ... AGAIN.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Seachaser

There is a giant rock about 1.9 miles out!

Post by Seachaser »

Cost me $1100 and my boat is in the shop as we speak. Do not go out anywhere near a low tide or try to come back in within 2 hours of a 0 tide. You will not have 18 inches of water.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I think this may have been the post that Chalk was looking for earlier. With Credit to Tom Keels.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 - 6:25 pm Post subject:

Mapsource is only garmin compatable. I'll post the actual numbers for my route. You need to put them in your respective GPS's as a route. I have tested this route on tides as low as .7 and have no less than 2 feet of water under the boat while on plane the whole route. I do not warranty this against bent skegs or lower units. This is for information only and I will not be responsible for any damages. Use at your own risk.

# 180FTM -- N30 02.365 W83 55.286
# 180FT1 -- N30 02.308 W83 55.295
# 180FT2 -- N30 02.246 W83 55.500
# 180FT3 -- N30 02.251 W83 55.594
# 180FT4 -- N30 02.204 W83 55.714
# 180FT5 -- N30 01.908 W83 55.713

Continue on from # 6 along a 180° heading.

The complete thread can be found at...http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... ight=route
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

There's a set of concrete steps on the downriver side of the
two ramps. You need water over the bottom step to launch
and navigate the river. There are some very good pointers in
the above posts. The rock that owns me is about 1 o'clock
from the steps referred to above and 50-60 feet across the
river. I hate that #^!@ rock! :smt010
I have been hitting that son of a boulder since 1970. :smt013
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

ahh it aint so bad... ya'll make it sound likethe Aucilla :o ...
RHTFish,the bottom of my boat knows the rock you speak of very well, when there's a strong morning current, i usually end up ontop of er.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Go out on a good tide and follow the above map and plan coming back in with some good water and you'll be fine. Just don't plan anything on low water for awhile !
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »