Mashes Sands 12-23-06

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Mashes Sands 12-23-06

Post by wevans »

Loaded my nephews Grouper rig with 40# Cajun Red and put my brothers underwater camera in the boat and launched around 8am. It was a tad bit rough in the early goin, so I just did some trolling while waiting on the wind and waves ta die down some :-D Trolled several of my good spots with no success, so decided ta just troll around a bit :-D first fish, the drag screams, the pole shakes and then he's gone :smt010 disappointed, I put it back out and trolled back through. This time he gets hung and I pull in a 22 1/2 inch Gag that is foul hooked with both trebles :o In the box and trollin back through again, nothin, continue on my way for about 500 foot and the drag screams again, and continues screaming :o hung on bottom in 40 foot of water :smt012 NOPE, it's a FAT 29 incher and a feisty one at that :-D after landing that one I continued trolling the 2 1/2 miles to where I lost my pole last weekend and started the search with the camera, visibility looked pretty decent up top, but the bottom was 1 to 2 foot vis at best :smt010 tried for an hour but knew that it was a waste of time till the vis gets better. 1 to 2 foot rollers for the ride in at WOT was nice, the water temp is back up to 60, it was 55 last weekend. And I managed ta catch the crud "or just give it a burst of energy" yesterday also :smt013 I aint cleaned the boat, fish or camera yet :roll: so I guess I better get busy this morning :beer: :beer:
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Those are some nice fish! :thumbup:
You could always borrow Tom's wet suit and look for yourself.. :wink:
Sorry to hear about the rod. :thumbdown:
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

how are you with a cast net? tie on a little extra hand line and try to snag the reel that way. Nice trip by the way. :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I gotta find exactly where it's at first, the fish may have broke off immediatly or coulda draged it a ways before breaking the line :o and I aint worth a toot with a cast net :oops:
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Sounds like a good trip :beer: :thumbup:

It's been a couple of years since I've been over there but was thinking about heading over that way one day next week. Question: Can you get in and out of mashes sand pretty easy now? I can float in 8" so I'm thinking I ought to be OK but I've seen the mouth of that channel basically get high and dry.

Also, how deep are you fishing? What are the lat/lon coordinates where you caught the fish? (just kiding :-D )
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

You should have no problem at Mashes :thumbup: I started in 30 foot "I caught a 30" in 30 last weekend" and continued out to 45 foot. Just go out of Mashes in the South side Channle and head South after you get out about a half a mile out of the mouth " I can usually see bouy 26 on a clear day while doing most of my trolling" :-D
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Wevens, how big is that bass boat? Would you take a 16' Carolina Skiff out there on a good day. I've gone out a ways out of the lighthouse and people tell me I'm nuts.. I just shrug my shoulders and say "I'm in an unsinkable boat"... :o
I've got caught in 4 to 5 footers on the Atlantic side just trolling the beaches and rode them like a surf board in.. :o
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The boat's a 17.5 footer and folks say I'm crazy also :-D You should have no problem so long as it's a fairly calm day :thumbup: you do have to watch the weather much closer than others "don't let it turn ugly on ya", but with a little common sense and knowing what the weather is SUPPOSED to do will get ya out there and back :beer: :beer:
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Thanks for the info Weavans :beer:

Hope you're having a merry Christmas.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Thats good grouper, Wevans. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

A pic of the fish and the seas :thumbup: the small one is dwarfed by the big boy :-D

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

What were the NL's biting :lol:

:thumbup: :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

My As..... :o :-D :beer:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

nice fish ...
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Good report Waldon. :D
"a little common sense and knowing what the weather is SUPPOSED to do will get ya out there and back". That sez it all. :-)