spinning reel combo

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

yukondon

spinning reel combo

Post by yukondon »

Just wanted a little input from you guys,Im looking at buying a new spinning reel combo primarily for the flats.I know you guys probably have tried everything out there so any info would be great.So far I have come up with a few choices. One being http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... 05hz04.jpg the Quantum Boca PT. I have a Baitcaster Quantam PT that I use to chase bass with and Im pleased with its performance. Next would be http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... 48ii02.jpg This Shimano Stradic reel is one Ive heard good reveiws about and was the top of my list. Last but not least :roll: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... 71sn02.jpg The Okuma Epixor, Never heard of this reel but it sounds nice and worth considering . Im looking to spend no more than 200.00 for the rod/reel combo If you have a better idea than these three let me know what you think. TIA
Donnie
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

All those are nice rigs...I have heard some good things about the Epixor's...If I had $200 to spend I would get a Shimano Crucial rod and maybe a Pflueger Supreme.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I picked up a Crucial w/ a Christmas gift card and love the feel of it so far. put a Penn captiva 5000 on it for now. Medium action.
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

I have a Pflueger President and I love it. I also have an Okuma Coronado with the live bait runner and its great. The Epixor is a newer version of the same real so its probably good. The live bait runner feature is great for the spring/summer months when you want to just drop a live pinfish or shrimp over the side on a float while you are also casting.

I use the Pfeuger for casting a jig spoon etc. while I have the okuma floating off the back/side of the boat with a live bait on it. I don't use the Okuma for casting baits really so I cant recommend it for that, but the drag and reel are very smooth.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I use a Shimano Stradic 2500 with 2lb Power Pro, and those Crucial Rods in a 7' Medium would be nice.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I've been using the Stradic & Symetre and can't say there's any real difference -except the price. I'd have the Spheros but they don't go any smaller than the 3000 -I like the 2500's with 10 pound Power Pro. My Symetere(s) have been awesome and have really held up.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I have two Stradic 4000's on Falcon rods. the combo cost less than 200. also have two Spheros combos that have served me well. However, the Stradic is definitely my choice...Smoothest spinning reel Ive ever had my hands on...........
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Diawa SS 1300 + Ugly stik lite M 6'6" + 15# power pro and money left over for bunch of gulps! :-D
I keep six of these rigged for everything from plugs to spoons
to jigs to CTs.

If you don't want as much money left for gulps you can get Daiwa inshore rod 7'6' ML action which makes a great combo with Daiwa SS 1600.
These two rigs are for Poppy Only! I do cut some of the handles off.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

spinning reel combo

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I have three Penn 450SSG on rods I got from Heath @ So. Ga. Outdoors and I love 'em :smt007. I have heard good things about all of those combos, you can't go wrong if those are your options.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
critter

Post by critter »

the special on the okuma epixors right now makes them a best buy-got 3 and they are smooth.
think i need to take advantage of that sale and buy a "spare" now that you reminded me.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Im throwing a shimano stradic 2500 on a 6'9'' kistler rod, and love both of them :D
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Castaway wrote:Im throwing a shimano stradic 2500
on a 7 ft redbone medium action :lol:
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

You might also consider the Cabela's Salt Striker reel. I looked at one paired with a Salt Striker rod at Cabela's store in Buda, Texas, last summer. The sales guy told me he was pretty sure it's the same as Epixor, and they do look the same. But the Cabela's price is better. Here's a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

I have an Epixor EF30 (not the baitfeeder), and it's a favorite. It's paired right now with an 8' Ugly Stik Lite.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

pcbayou wrote:You might also consider the Cabela's Salt Striker reel. I looked at one paired with a Salt Striker rod at Cabela's store in Buda, Texas, last summer. The sales guy told me he was pretty sure it's the same as Epixor, and they do look the same. But the Cabela's price is better. Here's a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

I have an Epixor EF30 (not the baitfeeder), and it's a favorite. It's paired right now with an 8' Ugly Stik Lite.
Also have 2 of the EF30's and love them. Still smooth after 3 years... :thumbup:
yukondon

Post by yukondon »

Thought Id let you guys know what I ended up getting.Couldn't make my mind up so I decided to get two. :) First one for chunk and winding is the Shimano Stradic 2500 strapped to a 7' Falcon Coastal inshore rod. Next one for dragging a pinfish behind the boat is a Shimano Baitrunner - BTR3500B which will be strapped to a Inshore Extremeâ„¢ Spinning Rod - 7' M 1-pc. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.Hope to see yall on the water soon.

Don