Econfina 1-14 inshore/nearshore

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Econfina 1-14 inshore/nearshore

Post by Redfish Jim »

Headed out of Econfina around the high tide. Went into my secret creek only it ain't such a secret these days. Not only was another boat in my secret creek, but they're even fishing my secret spot. Looked like they were catching trout left and right. Nice long creek so I just eased on by them and went a good ways further up. Two more boats up in my secret creek when I left plus the guys on my secret spot who were still there.

Spent about an hour up in the creek and had nice action. Caught about 10 redfish, most in the 22" range but a couple of puppies. Also caught a pretty nice trout at 19". All fish caught on white gulp shrimp at slack high tide and first of falling tide.

Left 'em biting in the creek to go check my crab traps. Trolled around a little in 20' and got a 23" grouper to go along with a pretty good mess of crab claws, the trout and a redfish. Went exploring out in 28' range and found some really good looking areas. No action out there but almost no tide movement at the time. I'll definitely go back as I marked several good looking spots with lots of structure.

Nice day on the water. Fairly calm seas and pleasant temperature. Ate the crab claws last night. Looking forward to the grouper tonight. :lick:
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

The one Sat. I don't go and all you guys in my "secret creek". :wink:
Sounds like a good day. :thumbup:
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

That's my kind of day - cept I never have them :(

WTG

Sea Gurl
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Nice day for sure :thumbup:

Tides and crowds tried to hold you down but you come home with a good haul for the grease. :beer:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Ya gots ta go fishin ta have em SG :roll: :-D

Nice catchin RJ :thumbup: and a nice rounded supper also :-D :beer:
Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Fun »

Very nice day Fer sur....WTG :thumbup: Thanks for the report.......
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

great trip, Jim. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Sounds like a great day.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Good job ! I'd like to try that crab claw fishing myself..Where do you go about getting the stone crab baskets in this area ? How often once you bait them do you get back around to checking them ? If you don't mind sharing... thanks for any help... frank
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Frank Bradfield wrote:Good job ! I'd like to try that crab claw fishing myself..Where do you go about getting the stone crab baskets in this area ? How often once you bait them do you get back around to checking them ? If you don't mind sharing... thanks for any help... frank
You can use the wire traps that they use for blue crabs. Rivers on South Adams street near the post office can set you up with these. He knows how to rig 'em up too so I like doing business with him. Just make sure to put plenty of weight in them or they'll move around on you.

Here's a link for plastic traps made specifically for stone crabs. http://www.cudjoesales.com/catalog/stone-trap.html You'll have to pour a concrete floor for these but just get some quickcrete and it is a pretty simple operation. They are heavy, which is good and bad. Good because they won't go anywhere. Bad when you're hauling them up.

I've got both kinds but prefer the plastic ones. Much easier to get the crabs out. They grab hold of those wire traps and it's hard to shake them out.

I try to go out and check the traps once a week. I have let 'em soak for two weeks. I usually bring them all home when the grouper move back to deep water. It's a long run just to get a few claws. But, as long as I'm going out there anyway, it's a real tasty bonus and I've had pretty consistent success.

Good luck if you try it. :thumbup:
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Thats good info RJ...and a pretty darned good day :thumbup: .. 'cept for your secret spot being picked :thumbdown:
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Thanks much, hopefully in time I can give it a try !
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like ya had a decent day, even if your "secret creek" was occupied.
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job there RF :thumbup: Since your creek and spot ain't a secret no more how bout tell'n us where it's at any we'll try ta run folks off it when ever we can :roll: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

No secret creeks left Jim. Them govt guys are watching ever move ya make from thare satelites. Even can see what kind of lures ya using. Ask Chalk, he know bout that stuff. Where you thank he gets all them secret spots for him and TC from?? :-D

Good report, thanks. :D