St. Marks 1/19/07

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

birddog
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 1/19/07

Post by birddog »

I twisted Barhopr's arm late Thursday evening and he agreed to accompany me on a much needed redfish expedition. We arrived at the LH ramp a little before 11:00 a.m. It took a little pushing and pleading, but we got the boat launched and were soon underway.

Headed down to a place that has produced all winter long, only to see our illustrious tournament director with a good headstart making a beeline for my redfish hole. :roll: I figured he didn't know what he was doing anyway but I still swung wide around him and came in from the east. We couldn't quite get in as far as we needed to, so we went as far as we could. Started fishing back to the west and almost immeadiatly Barhopr snags a nice flounder.

With the skunk outta the boat, we continued west not seeing much except TinCan making better time than me to the hole. I decide to create a little distraction to try and slow him down. See, TinCan was under orders from Chalk to check out the trout in a promising looking creek for the upcoming NFGFC tourny. So , I call Chalk telling him TinCan is no where near his creek, knowing Chalk would call TinCan to reprimand him and maybe I could get ahead of him in the meantime. Well it didn't slow him down much and we all arrived at the same time on said redfish hole. :lol: There really wasn't enough water to fish the area anyway so we milled around shooting the breeze as the water continued to rise.

I suggested TinCan go fish Chalk's creek and Barhopr and I would would ease on to the west. As we parted ways I hollered at TinCan to call me if he got into something he couldn't handle. He said he would. :roll:

Just a few minutes after leaving TinCan, Barhopr sticks a nice red. And soon after follows it up with another.

He' really applying the pressure to me. It only gets worse when I finally set the hook in a red and he turns out to be all of 15"'s. Barhopr misses a couple and I'm really sweating now. I decide to get rid of the new spoon I'm trying out and go back with my old faithful spoon. Soon afterwards, this pig tries to take it away from me.

I'm beginning to feel a little better, when I luck into another one.

I decide to call TinCan and tell him there's reds between us and him. He answers and says he doesn't have time to talk. 100 redfish have him surrounded and he had 1 hooked up. :roll: Talk about not being able to do 2 things at once. I could hear the fish splashing in the phone and it didn't sound bigger than 12" to me. :lol:

Meanwhile, Barhopr's spotting reds and casting while I'm busy on the phone with TinCan. He quickly puts 2 in the boat while I'm distracted.

Barhopr and I make a little run to the west, turn back and start fishing east trying to take advantage of the NW wind. We pick up a couple more reds working back toward TinCan, when he calls and says he's out of battery and has to go in anyway. He suggests we come fish HIS hole since he's leaving. :roll: We decline knowing we needed to be heading in as well.

We finished the day with 1 flounder and 9 reds to 28.5". Barhopr kept me on my toes all afternoon. We caught 'em all on spoons, except for the flounder.

All kiding aside I had a great time with Barhopr. And it was good to see TinCan out there as well. Thanks for coming along Barhopr.

Can't wait til next time.
Last edited by birddog on January 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

:roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Perhaps they smelled ya coming with that turd in your mouth :lol:

Nice trip fellas. :thumbup:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Hey man, I should be the one thanking you. Had a great time,next ones on me. T.C. good to see you too.....I think. :-D
Chalk: This is what your partner was doing while he was supposed to be finding trout:

Thats right,..... peeing in the wind, plus he didn't even turn to the other side of the boat. :smt012 I think he poisoned the water for us.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Barhopr wrote:Chalk: This is what your partner was doing while he was supposed to be finding trout.... peeing in the wind, plus he didn't even turn to the other side of the boat. :smt012 I think he poisoned the water for us.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Yep...a great day on the water guys....but I think y'all were using "slurp"! :lol:
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Work stunk on Friday...thinks for making it stink a little worse. :wink: Nice fish guys. :thumbup:

Barhopr...where's that Beavertail? :-D
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Good looking fish. I spent the night cleaning up the reels and rods with new line. I hope I can get into them soon myself.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Nice fish guys!! :thumbup:
And good pic of TC... :-D I think he was marking Chalks territory for him...
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Great report BD! :thumbup: :smt004
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Sounds and looks like ya had a good day out there. Thanks for the report. :D
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Good report, and good work on them reds :thumbup: :thumbup: