Local duck hunting news from the AP

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

finniefish

Local duck hunting news from the AP

Post by finniefish »

Shot Duck Survives 2 Days in Fla. Fridge
By Associated Press
Sat Jan 20, 5:07 PM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The 1-pound female ring-neck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

Now thats funny!
bman

Post by bman »

First off- what a slack hunter- two days in the fridge and not cleaned?
The Peta people will love this!

He should be forced to sell all his hunting equipment and give the money to DU.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Don't you know he's catching hell from all his buddies. :lol: :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

He most surely is catching it from his friends. LOL! The dang story even made CNN!

$65 - dozen decoys.
$85 - case of steel shells
$500 - vet bill

Finding a half dead duck in your refrigerator- Priceless!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

:smt005
What was I supposed to do today?
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

bman wrote:First off- what a slack hunter- two days in the fridge and not cleaned?
The Peta people will love this!

He should be forced to sell all his hunting equipment and give the money to Delta.
QFT

:thumbup:
BlindHog

Post by BlindHog »

ANOTHER ARTICLE AND THIS TIME THE POOR SAP'S NAME IS REVEALED. I WOULD BE TICKED AT WIFE AND DAUGHTER, BUT THEN AGAIN I RING MY DUCKS' NECKS......

Tallahassee's lucky duck grabs global attention
Post Comment
By Julian Pecquet
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER Print Email to a friend Subscribe

Tallahassee's lucky duck is now famous around the world.

Ever since the Tallahassee Democrat on Saturday wrote about a ring-necked duck that survived for a day and a half in a hunter's refrigerator after getting shot, wildlife rehabilitator Noni Beck has been interviewed by the BBC, FOX News and other media outlets from Ireland to Australia.

ADVERTISEMENT

People from across the world also want to know how the duck's doing. One school teacher from Texas even called to say she was adopting the duck as a mascot, Beck said, to show the students that "if the duck can do this, you can too."

"I am kind of overwhelmed that people are as concerned as they are," Beck said Tuesday as a crew for the TV magazine "Inside Edition" was wrapping up an interview. "I think it's heartwarming."

The sanctuary has also gotten some welcome promises of financial assistance, she said.

The duck, which has been nicknamed Perky by a sanctuary volunteer, was doing well as it awaited an operation that is planned for Thursday.

It suffered a broken wing and leg after being shot in the early morning of Jan. 15, a Monday, by local hunter Dale Tadlock. Tadlock, a roofing contractor, kept the duck in a spare refrigerator because he didn't have time to clean it immediately.

When his wife Pamela checked on the fridge the next afternoon, the duck looked up at her. She decided to keep the story from her husband until her daughter could get the duck - which she calls Incredi-duck - to safety at an animal hospital.

That's a promise she'd made a year earlier during a hunting trip, when she told her husband "you better make sure you kill them, because if you don't they're going to the vet."

"I didn't realize she was real serious," Dale Tadlock said. "But I found out a year later."
Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn now 'n then...
bman

Post by bman »

Would this be a good place to start sharing Duck Recipes?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

Do any of you crack the skull with your teeth, Duck Commander style? I heard that's a hell of away to do it.