touring kayak?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

basstired
Site Sponsor

touring kayak?

Post by basstired »

I fished a lot as a kid, growing up on the St. Johns river. I started up with a new girlfriend recently, who liked to get out in the wild. On impulse I bought that big orange tandem sot by pelican that they sell at sports authourity. Getting out on the water has renewed my interest in fishing. The relationship didn"t work out, I could not teach her how to cast, so I"ve been fishing out of this big barge. I've gotten the hang of it but forget any long paddles against the wind or tide.
Instead of selling it and getting something else, I've been trying to convert this to an angling vessel. Started by putting some flush mount rod holders in the usual places, just that much was a real help. The mobility problem was still there. In a moment of genius or insanity, I took the discs that I cut out for the rod holders. Dilling a hole in the disc, I ran a flat end two inch bolt through. With a heat gun I softened up a spot on the kayak and welded the bolt onto the boat, like molecules to the like and that bolt is virtually part of th boat, merging and buttering the thick disc.
This may be against the spirit of kayaking but I now have a tandem sot touring yak with rod holders and a trolling motor, that I also cut down, to more fit the beast. Now my girlfrind in the front seat is a battery and I get a real charge out of her. See you on the water, basstired
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
fishful_thinkin

Post by fishful_thinkin »

Nice way to make the best out of the situation :thumbup: I bet that battery is a bit cheaper than the old girlfriend too!!
Less Work! More Fishing!
salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

With a trolling motor on board don't you now need FL numbers on the side?
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

A little while back, I had the assumption that numbers weren't needed if the boat was shorter than 12 feet and the power was not gas. I stand corrected. That's the funny thing about assumptions. I now know that if it is powered by a mechanical device, then it needs numbers.
basstired
Site Sponsor

legal numbers for kayak with trolling motor

Post by basstired »

Which is it guys? What gov. site has the rules? Legal sticker for trolling motor?
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Any motor requires you to register your boat. Thats the law.
directdrive

Your Big Tandem

Post by directdrive »

Hi: I have a big old Necky Cruiser II tandem in "yum yum yellow" Got it when my youngest boy was small. Now he's nearly my size and I'm going to get us two singles.

The nice thing about the big boat is the stability. I can stand up in it to fish if need be. The bad thing is the weight. It was supposed to weigh 75 pounds. Ha! That must be the weight at one end. The darn thing is easily 125+. Getting it on or off the roof rack is is a nightmare. Dragging it to deep water even worse. It is rigged to the nth degreee for fishing with four flush mount rodholders, adjustable anchor line system on each side, compass, LED running lights, high-backed seats, cooler, you name it. It will be for sale soon.

We are planning on buying two Hurricane Phoenix 16' 'yaks to replace it. If you haven't seen the hurricane boats, you need to check them out. The 16's weigh in at 55 pounds each. A REAL 55 pounds. They are not roto-molded but made of some sort of acrylic.

Yes. You have to have stickers with any mechanical means of propulsion as I found out over in St. Joe Bay in my big canoe. The FWS pulled me over and cited me for having a 2 horse kicker and no registration.

Tight Lines!!