Keaton Beach area 3-3-07

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach area 3-3-07

Post by jsuber »

Passed some Skeeter boat from Georgia in Perry on my way out to my fishing hole. I know I would have to drive fast so he didn't see my launch spot. I got to the launch site and it was beautiful, low winds, last of an outgoing tide and the sun was coming through after heavy rains all night. I put in, then the worst thing that can happen, happened. Two guys with an airboat came down the ramp. This place ain't very wide so I made room for them to pass me with a loud big noisy obnoxious piece of equipment that should be banned from all refuge's. Now, they get around me, wave and push every drop of water all over the place and run off any chance of me catching a fish. I wasn't happy so I didn't return the wave. Which is better than doing the other alternative to a return wave. I finally round the corner and low and behold, but who is fishing in the spot I'm heading to. The AIRBOAT. To make it worse, they are catching fish. I threw a couple of cast and headed out to the flats. Redfish are waving at me from every direction. I think I threw every lure I had and could not get more than a rub. But good news, the AIRBOAT is coming out, and gave me plenty of space. About 15 minutes later I got my hearing back, and called it a day on the flats and rode the incoming tide back in. I picked up four Trout before the parade started. Evidently the place I fished, ain't no secret. Thats okay, I didn't see anybody catching that many fish except these two fellars from Thomasville. Now if two guys from Thomasville are in there too, the word is out. I managed to pick up a double limit of ten and called it a day there. All of the fish were 16-18 inches long, and some were caught on a Mirrolure STTR white with Redhead, and the rest with a Capt Mike 3" Shad tail blue top with silver bottom and a 1/2 oz DOA jig head. Wind picked up and I pulled out at 2:00 pm and headed over to Steinhatchee to check out some kayak fishing spots I heard were good in the summer. Hope everyone caught bigger fish than me, at least I'll have hope. I think the rain might have slowed down the bite, but you never know.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

damn yakker!
sounds like a good day to get out suber!
at least we know there's fish cooperating.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach area 3/3/07

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I hate those blasted airboat, that infernal racket can kill a good day on the water, but the flats are there for everyones enjoyment. You left about the same time I got there today and you did alot better than I did (the fish weren't hungry where I was). Sounds like a good day anyway. Someone was having a weigh-in at the public ramp as we were leaving, lots of people, not many fish. But a beautiful day none the less.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I hate airboats. You had better luck than me finding trouts.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

You don't fish that area if you have a problem with airboats. Folks down there love 'em. And everyone knows GA owns Keaton. :wink: :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I don't mind the airboats that know what a MUFFLER is, I can tolerate the blade noise. It is those straight pipes I think are ignorant and rude.

Dubble :smt011
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I ain't fishing my airboat next weekend, but I guess some of ya'll gonna give me grief cuz I got one. It is over at Paul Dixon's right now having mufflers installed. :o
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Tend to agree with the others on the airboat issue. Generally noisy and disrespectful. Don't know how many times I've nearly been run over when fishing in the yak in out of the way places.

Nathan
skeeter22

Post by skeeter22 »

I do believe you were speeding.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Who was speeding? Not me, I haven't taken my boat to the flats...yet :-D
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I think he meant me when I passed him. You know those guys from Georgia drive like they got a urine sample on the dash with no lid that they gotta get to the doctors office 75 miles away for the last step in the job interview.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach area 3-3-07

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I'll have you know we don't have urine tests in GA, we go by the honor system here.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton Beach area 3-3-07

Post by tin can »

Reel Cowboy wrote:I'll have you know we don't have urine tests in GA, we go by the honor system here.
:smt005 :smt005
What was I supposed to do today?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

jsuber wrote:I think he meant me when I passed him. You know those guys from Georgia drive like they got a urine sample on the dash with no lid that they gotta get to the doctors office 75 miles away for the last step in the job interview.
Ahem...I'm from Georgia. I am now thinking maybe I need to bring my airboat next weekend and do a little kayak tipping after all :lol:
Thalassia

Post by Thalassia »

We have staked a claim at Keaton. I don't much appreciate airboats but that Florida feller would do well to keep in mind we deliver a lot of dollars down there.
Kayak tipping? Good one! We just wait till there sitting still and...