Lake Hall - March 17

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

Lake Hall - March 17

Post by Terrier »

Had a pretty good day on the lake - 6 bass with one going 4lb:

I fished from 3:30PM to 7:30PM.
5 were caught on senkos (including the 4lb bass), one on a Norman DLN).
The wind was very strong - 10 - 15 mph from the west, so that made for an interesting day.

Water temp is a round 66 - 69. The lake is getting more active.

I caught the 4lb bass near a dock. After I landed it, the owner came out and pretty much told me to release it since it was he and his kids feed the fish off the dock and they're pets of some sort. Well no problem there since I always release bigger bass. He then asked me not to fish his dock which I agreed to out of courtesy. We left friendly enough but it started out more vinegar than honey. What's the rules on dock fishing?
FUTCHCAIRO

GARBAGE

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE LAW STATES THAT YOU CAN FISH ANYWHERE YOU WANT ON ANY NAVIGABLE WATER IN THE STATE OF FLA. I GUESS THAT TURKEY WAS PROBABLY MAD SINCE HE WAS NOT ABLE TO CATCH THE BASS. YOU ARE IN YOUR RIGHTS TO KEEP THE FISH IF THEY ARE IN THE SLOT LIMITS.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

What Futch said.
basstired
Site Sponsor

lake hall

Post by basstired »

I know that fish, that's Buddy and he hates those kids. They try and bean him with 12 grain bread and then the rocks come. :hammer: Is that the dock straight across from the landing or back over in the cove? I'll be sure and wave. Nice fish " discretion is the better part of valor" :wink:
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
Terrier

dock

Post by Terrier »

The dock is around the side of the lake with the big houses - here's the google earth screen grab:

There's some serious money in that neighborhood - the houses there are some of the largest I've seen in Tallahassee. The odd thing is that according to the Leon County Property Appraiser, these parcels extend out into the lake:

I guess I was trespassing in 15' of water - the no trespassing signs must have been on a 10' pole :D
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

By law in Florida property owners can own the shoreline, but the public owns the water.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

jsuber wrote:By law in Florida property owners can own the shoreline, but the public owns the water.
Not necessarily. Lake hall was in a plantation. When the plantation started selling lots they sold some of the water with the lots.
As the map shows, there are private owners for part of the lake. You might also want to check Lake Lafayette, and a few others.

You might want to check the Leon County Property Appraiser's map.

http://tlcgis6.co.leon.fl.us/website/PA ... 5030000180'
What was I supposed to do today?
Terrier

Lake Hall

Post by Terrier »

According to Florida Statute 253.141 Riparian rights defined; certain submerged bottoms subject to private ownership, Chapt 3:

(3) The submerged lands of any nonmeandered lake shall be deemed subject to private ownership where the Board of Trustees of the Internal Improvement Trust Fund of Florida conveyed the same more than 50 years ago without any deductions for water and without any reservation for public use and when taxes have been levied and collected on said submerged lands since conveyance by the state.

So I guess if those lots on Lake Hall meet those conditions, part of the lake itself could be private property. I hope the owners aren't reading this - they'll have fences up tomorrow to keep the riff-raff (me) out!
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

I had a guy over on the st. johns ask me one time why out of all of the docks on the river I had to fish around his. I guess some people just have nothing better to do.
Dwayne Fisherman

Post by Dwayne Fisherman »

I am really torn on this subject, because I live on a lake myself (east of Tallahassee) and have a nice little dock. I get really freaked out when I see people in a boat practically on top of it fishing. Any yes, my property does extend out into the lake.

However, I understand this is where a lot of the "easy" fish are, for those who have not studied the lake and don't know where the honey holes are. Also, many of these people have children with them and are simply trying to have quality family time.

I always keep an eye on them, but never say anything unless they are literally out of their boats. There have been boats and other items stolen out of our neighborhood and this is the primary reason for me and my neighbor's nervousness. You would also be nervous if there were always strangers on the edge of your property. For the vast majority of the time, I simply live and let live.

I believe most property owners will simply ignore you as long as you keep a "normal" distance. Some are just jerks though.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Owners of submerged property have riparian rights which grant them access to the water, ability to build docks and dredge. They still do not own the water, the land under the water, the fish or the right to bar others from fishing, boating or bathing in said water.

Although what terrier posted is interesting as well.

I fish docks on occassion. I fish the christmas trees and old toilets waterfront landowners dump next to their docks as fish attracters. I also move on when these same land owners get territorial. Their dock isnt the only spot with fish.
Terrier

Lake Hall

Post by Terrier »

I talked to a friend at work who works for the FWC - he said that it sounds like the the homeowners own that land out into the lake. It hardly seems fair but its the law. Hard to enforce unless they buoy the lot lines. The bottom line appears to be that on those lots on Lake Hall the homeowner can tell you not to fish his dock.
raybuck1

Lake Hall

Post by raybuck1 »

I spoke with the Captain of the FWC Head of Fisheries in the Norwest Florida District office on 3/19/07, and the Captain stated that if the body of water has public access then anyone with a valid fishing license may fish any portion of the water. I mentioned the possibility of the landowner owning the lake bottom and he stated “That does not matter unless it is a private lake with no public access." He also said he would enter this information into the FWC computer to notify his officers of this event in case the land owner made a formal complaint against those who are legally fishing. Also, he noted that there is a specific law that was passed to keep people from harassing individuals from legally hunting and fishing so that we can enjoy or sports. The FWC says you can fish the whole body of water at Lake Hall. Act courtesy and get the information from the source - the Agency that enforces the law. Good fishing.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Danged good work and info :thumbup: :thumbup:

WELCOME ABOARD :smt006 and a fine way to come on board :thumbup: :beer:
Terrier

Lake Hall

Post by Terrier »

Excellent news - thanks for the info!! I'll use common sense and display some courtesy in dock fishing, but if that homeowner had started out with "Nice catch but I'd really appreciate it if you released that fish" or "I know this is a lot to ask, but would you mind not fishing my dock?" I wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.