anchor rope

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

basstired
Site Sponsor

anchor rope

Post by basstired »

Maybe this is old news, but I went to the local pet store and got one of those retractable dog leashes. 24 ft. of line, rated for a 150lb dog. Hooked it to the anchor tie. Works great, let out what you need and then lock it. I put a carrabeaner clip on the handle, then it's easy to find something to clip it to. Push the button and the line retracts back in the handle. I've used it in fresh and salt and it's still retracting. Sometimes you have to give it a slap on the side, keeps line out of the way. :thumbup:
Wanted: Cute gal who loves to fish:
Send picture of boat
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

That is an old idea and sounds like your putting it to good use. Thanks for telling us about it.
Derfish

Post by Derfish »

In additon to the anchor rope idea, a useful and very affordable anchor can be found at any department store in the exercise section. The foam covered hand weights make excellent anchors for yaks and are easy on your boat surface when retrieving or stowing.
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
stuart888

Post by stuart888 »

What a great idea, and one that I had never heard of. I often have a problem of drifting, as the wind and/or tide moves my kayak out. Thanks for the hot tip.

Regards, Stuart
flyrodder

Post by flyrodder »

I found out about this idea in one of my outdoor magazines.
If you are fishing on sandy bottom (although I found that it works well on oyster beds as well), rinse a gallon milk jug (the kind with the handle), tie a marine rop to the handle and when you need to anchor fill it up with water and toss it out.
Hopes this works for you.
Note: this does not work to well on really windy days :wink:
If there is no fishing or dogs in Heaven, I want to go where there is!