Motor foot, should I paint it?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Should I paint my OB motor foot

Yes
40%
No
20%
Doesn't Matter
40%

Total votes: 5

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning,

I have some paint missing on the foot of my Yamaha 75. Even though I try to be carefull, I have gone through some rather skinny water going in and out of the Econfina :oops: and have a rather bright shinny aluminum appearance to the foot below the prop. Should I be concerned with repainting that portion of the motor? Is there any risk in not painting it? Is there a factory type paint that I can use? etc.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

I woun't worry about the skag to much on the painting......but if the lower unit itself needs to be painted I would do that for sure........
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

A lot of folks tell me not to worry about it. However any exposed surface will be subject to salt water corrosion. I have seen the skag on motors have pits an eighth of an inch deep. I always wash my motor with soap and water, but every now and then if it sets a while, I can see surface corrosion starting. I have a Johnson, you can buy color matched OMC paint at most boat dealers. Not sure about the Yamaha. You'll just about have to paint it ever time you run through a little grass, the repainting out of a spray can from the dealer, just won't hold like the factory paint. But I still spray mine with it. Another concideration, if it bothers you that bad you can buy a scag protecter made from a copolymer compound. but that would require drilling.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

if you get the heavy pitting and corrosion then your anode is doing the job eather replace or you may need to add to it make sure you don't paint them.......you will will have more than just the lower unit pitting and corroding.......just my 2 cents and from what i bin told and taught.... :)
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There have been some good points made. Most of the heavy pitting of submerged aluminun parts is a result of electrolosys (sp). Most of this can be avoided by using a sacrificial anode. If the anode becomes pitted it should be replaced. If you look in any manufacturers outboard motor catalog you'll see that they go to great lengths to prevent corrosion. This usually includes zinc chromate primers, as well as baked on paint. If the paint on your lower unit has been completely worn away, repainting it certainly doesn't hurt. But unless you go to great lengths, it's never as good as the factory paint, and the anode becomes more important.
What was I supposed to do today?
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Yes you should paint your lower unit when the bare aluminum is exposed. Granted it is not the same as the factory EDP (Electro Deposition Paint) process where the paint and metal are magnetically bonded but it will lower your chances of corrosion greatly. Don't forget to replace your sacrificial anodes when they are about 50% deteriorated. One other thing to look for are the grounding wires that connect between the clamp brackets and midsections. Sometimes the powerhead to midsection has them or the lower unit to midsection has them. When they break, this diminishes your corrosion protection. Every little bit helps when it comes to corrosion. Good Luck!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard Speedy. Always good to have new folks.
What was I supposed to do today?
dowawoo

painting the foot

Post by dowawoo »

Why not, it's there, caught your attention, so, paint it, simple :
dowawoo
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Paint it, tell her you love her :o :lol: