Wakulla County fishing

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Wakulla County fishing

Post by flounderpounder »

I am living in the county now and I am looking for some spots I can take my 6 year old to catch some Bream or Bass on those windy days. I have a 16 foot flats boat so I need a ramp.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Otter lake. If your driving out to Panacea its on the left in the St Makrs Refuge (Refuge is all over the county) There is a boat ramp and you can also fish in Lake Renfro and lots of other ponds out in that area. Otter lake is easiest to get to though. There are also some places on the St Marks Lighthouse refuge too.
devans850
Site Sponsor

Post by devans850 »

The refuge is good, but you can only have a 10hp motor. Places like wood lake, silver lake , mack lake, are all very good. Those are in Sopchoppy. You also have the Wakulla River and St.Marks rivers.
JUST SHUT UP AND FISH!
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

I know the rivers, but I was interested in local lakes. Dale what do you know about the Piggots Pond area?
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

flounderpounder wrote:I know the rivers, but I was interested in local lakes. Dale what do you know about the Piggots Pond area?
Piggots pond has water in it now? I can remember boggin there all the time in high school, course that was 15 years ago. What about Lake Ellen, or is that private/residents only.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I stopped at the boat ramp at Lake Ellen this weekend but could not for the life of me figure out if the public is welcome there.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Lake Ellen is actually the area I was talking about not Piggots pond. Anybody ever fish Lake Ellen or surrounding lakes. I think it is public Suber, my buddy owns one of those cottages over there.
devans850
Site Sponsor

Post by devans850 »

Lake Ellen is open to the public flounder. When you put in go to the north east side of the lake for the nest fishing. If the water is up good enough you can go to the south east side of the lake and go through the creek to the small lake :-D
JUST SHUT UP AND FISH!
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

I fished otter lake a few times last year and we did pretty good, here is a pic of one that a buddy of mine caught out there last summer :thumbup:

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

There are a bunch of signs saying they will tow your truck if you park there and signs indicating its a private ramp that have been painted over. I need to call the sheriffs office to find out.
devans850
Site Sponsor

Post by devans850 »

There was an issue about it being private at one time and there was some nut case that lived near the ramp that kept causing problems. The ramp is maintained by FWC and there are ramp signs on the major roadways indicating the ramp is there. We put in at Lake Ellen all the time :-D
JUST SHUT UP AND FISH!
Dwayne Fisherman

Post by Dwayne Fisherman »

Any other good lakes down there off the beaten path?