Sunjammers & FCKA Wakulla Beach tourney

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TallyFish

Sunjammers & FCKA Wakulla Beach tourney

Post by TallyFish »

Being a new kayak fisherman and not owning a kayak yet I took the advice of Rob Baker at T-N-T and the kind folks at Wilderness Way and rented one to find out which one suited me best before buying. So, I reserved an Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler at Wilderness Way a week prior the Wakulla Beach tournament. Then I went to T-N-T and purchased a PFD from Rob Baker. He recommended an angler model by MTI with plenty of zippered pockets for all sorts of gear. I picked up the kayak from WW Firday afternoon to insure that I would be at the safe light start about 6:30ish Saturday. Upon arrival at WB Jeff Suber was set up and registering the contestents and giving out directions to the best fishing grounds. I headed for Goose Creek and began my fishing around some oyster bars that were ajacent to the Goose Creek channel.

At the April FCKA meeting and later in the month at the North Florida Gulf Fishing Club Ty Smith was the guest speaker and he hammered home his belief in the combination of the Gamakatsu 4/0 hook and Bass Assassin 7" Alewife Shad for catching big fish. He had a special way he hooked the two together that seemed to be logical. So, on my way back from T-N-T and my PFD purchase I stopped off at Jerrys Bait and Tackle and purchased the hooks and lures.

So, now I am armed with the means and location for an enjoyable day. I don't think it was more than 20 minutes at the channel anchorage before I hooked an 18 inch trout. I threw it in the cold box and it is on the menu for this week. I had gotten numerous hits on the Ty Smith rig and about 45 minutes after the trout on a rising tide I hooked a large fish. It put up a fine fight whith some serious runs. After about eight minutes I brought a fine Redfish along side the kayak. Fortunatley Eric, another kayaker in the contest was near by with his camera and he photographed the Red aganist the fish rule. The Redfish measured 27 inches and after it's photo session I sent it on its way. Later in the day I caught a nice mackerel that went into the cold box and on to the dinner plate that evening. Had I been a better fishermen I would have had to return to the start point and unload all the fish if I had landed all the fish that hit the lure. But with practice... Oh, and Ty thanks it worked really well!

Brad Stephens of Sunjammers out of Panama City sponsored the tournament and fish it as well. He was in one of the kayaks I plan to test drive later, a Hobie with the Mirage drive. He was quite impressive peddling and fishing at the same time. I was also impressed by the speed and ease at which the kayak cut through water. It seems as if it would be great for hands free trolling and I can't wait to try one out. He really impressed me with the Hobie fishing bags he handed out to all the participants not to mention the prizes for 1,2 & 3 place.

Thanks to Brad Stephens and Jeff Suber for putting together a fine well attended tournament I am looking forward to the next one.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

What Redwilly didn't say was he rented a Kayak and won the tournament with a 27" Redfsih and a 17" trout for a 44" slam. He rented a kayak for $25 from Wilderness Way for a full day and beat everyone. Great Job to Redwilly and everyone who participated. Thanks to Brad for supporting the tournament and we will see you all at Lake Miccocukke for the next one.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

REDWILLY **THE WINNER**

JT

Popeye the Kayak man.

3rd Place Tall Tales

Brad **Sunajammers owner and featured sponsor**

Eric and Sunjammer
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Way to go Redwilly;
Glad the monster bait worked out for you. :thumbup:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good reporting. :thumbup: Really enjoyed the pictures of the different particpants.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

2 imnportant questions:

1) Redwilly mentioned a PFD .."angler model by MTI with plenty of zippered pockets for all sorts of gear" ... how much? I'm looking for good one.
2) Are we officially promoting Topless Yaking? How can I help?

;-)
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

clarification:

Gentlemen - in my earlier post I did not mean to infer that PFDs (part one) were in some cases noticeably absent which proped my question (part two) about topless yaking .. i.e., topless as in vest-less. No, no, no. What I was inferring was that some folks were clearly bare-chested in the photos (which could prompt a long conversation about the need for a man-ssiere) - and that perhaps we should promote this concept to certain folks who might look real good with their shirts off. I am struggling here to leave gender out of it, but gender clearly plays a role .. know what I mean??
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
flyrodder

Post by flyrodder »

When is the next tourney and what are the requirments to sign up?

Flyrodder
If there is no fishing or dogs in Heaven, I want to go where there is!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

June 23rd at the launch on HWY 98 at Alligator Harbor area. Its free and we will be giving away an AT Paddle for the longest fish. FISH! So you could have a Tarp[on, and if its really big bring a marker to mark the side of your Kayak. I suggest you pair up if your Tarpon Hunting and keep an eye out for sharks when you bring those poons alongside your boat.