Wakulla Beach East Goose Creek 5-1-07

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Wakulla Beach East Goose Creek 5-1-07

Post by jsuber »

Went out to East Goose Creek with Josh yesterday with the outgoing tides. It was real windy and water was moving pretty good. Starting to look like a wasted trip and then Josh commented he had never seen a Redfish tail before. He does a lot of fishing on the Wakulla River. We pulled back up into an area with less than a foot of water and there was a tail waving at me. I whistled for Josh to come see it and tossed a Capt Mikes spoon and it was "Fish on". The line was singing as that braided line tightened up, and as fast as it happened it was over. I called for Josh to come over and pull his kayak along side mine so that we could block the fishing from leaving the creek. A few Reds left but at least one stayed. I put on a Glow 4" Gulp minnow I just bought at Kevins and told Josh I was gonna deadstick it and cast on the flat area. The Gulp hit the water and I stuck it in the rod holder and tossed the spoon. The spoon got about half way back when the line on that 8' medium rod starting losing the droop. I reeled in on the spoon and picked up the Gulp rod. That Red starting run straight away from us and that 3/4 lb Power pro was singing a song on that Cabo 20PTS It was beautiful as it starting running through that 6" water and pushing like a submarine. It kept pulling away for what seemed like a few minutes. It then made its run towards Josh and me and Josh lowered his rods as the Red went past his boat then darted towards mine. I had that 8' rod doubled over as it went under my yak then back out and kept making runs. But it finally submitted. It was a fat wide shouldered redfish that would have been perfect for any weigh tournament. I got it in the boat and it measured 24". What a great way to live. Get off work, and drive 6 miles to the boat ramp, and paddle off into the water and come back with some fish just at dark. We picked up some rat reds, and Josh caught one 18" trout. By the way, the water behind me in that redfish photo, is less than 6" deep. And the water past Josh in that sunset picture. Thats not water. Its the bottom.

devans850
Site Sponsor

Post by devans850 »

Nice trip :thumbup:
JUST SHUT UP AND FISH!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup: <BDP
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Jeff your gonna be worn out before you get to SJB. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

birddog wrote:Jeff your gonna be worn out before you get to SJB. :lol:
You know that's a long paddle.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

good trip Suber. nice play by play
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good Pictures good story.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sweetttt :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
Derfish

Post by Derfish »

Great post Suber. Think of all the poor souls that have this great area right under their noses and they don't even know it. That suits me just fine.
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

We all have the fisherman's dream right here! :-D

Another great report suberman. 8)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
redfisher2424

Post by redfisher2424 »

Nice pics. I love to fish that area out of my canoe when Im short on gas money for the big boat. WTG. :thumbup:
Mike2883

Re: Wakulla Beach East Goose Creek 5-1-07

Post by Mike2883 »

Nice Red! bet he pulled good,I love that area when I was 16 I won one of the "Shriners" tournaments with an 18" 2.6 lbs Speckled Seatrout and caught it on my first cast of the day right out there in the middle towards the mouth of the creek. Ive been going out there on foot recently fishing off the oyster bars at the front mouth with not too much luck,the water is cold so im thinking they are there but just in the back where its warmer from the springs that flow into it,does anyone know of a way to get to the back of the creek on foot to fish?