THE NEW GULP!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

THE NEW GULP!!!

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

OK, not really but a good substitute if you know how to use them. Buy you a couple of bags of each color of Assassins new SLURP bait. Before your trip, put 2-3 ounces of water mixed with 5-6 drops of vegetable oil in bag and reseal. The SLURP baits actually release more scent the longer they are in the water so the solution allows them to get started before you get there. They are a great bait and you dont have to cut them off if you forget and leave them on the hook. I fished them my last trip and actually outfished my buddy who was throwing a gulp New Penny. I threw SLURPS' good penny. Trust me, you want to presoak these baits. If you forget, salt water and some good sardine oil in the bag for bout an hour in the sun works too. Anybody have any slurp stories? Just wondering if im the only nut looking for a cheaper alternative to gulp. The last trip my buddy went through ten bags of gulp.($50) I used four bags of Slurp and caught more and bigger fish.($12). Also for you GULP diehards, how do you keep them from tearing up so bad?
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Gulp $

Post by Capt Reggie »

You know, I think we are a product of everything new - it is exciting! I mean, everytime a new soft or hard bait comes out...wham, we just have to buy it. Am I right, here? You know I am! :roll: What ever happened to those old, seldome, or now, never used baits of yesteryear? Stowed somewhere in a bag, someplace, hidden, forgotten, in the past, eh? :o No sir! Dig out those SureKetch soft baits again. Remember: "Sure Ketch sure catches 'em"! :smt004 How about those DOA Shrimp & Crab baits? Are they another long, lost love we may have forgotten about? :oops: What do you want to bet that IF you gave them a good, solid "college try" again...well, they would work just as well as those Slurps, Gulps, Exudes, etc.! :smt007 And, they are not as $$$, are they? :smt009 Ah, I thought so. :sleep:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

I couldnt agree more. The only thing is I used to not even get excited about going if I didnt have a dozen dozen or so shrimp. Havent bought them in a while(since gulp). I agree the colors are much better in the old baits also and certainly much less expensive. However , I wonder if the fish somehow get accustomed to a certain bait, ie salt assassin's electric chicken or candy corn. I know I used to kill em on those colors and now not so much. Sounds retarded with all the fish in the ocean, but how many jigs are dragged in front of them weekly and most the same color?? It makes me wonder and an example is there are a lot of ducks out there and the mojo was the best thing to happen until they realized they were going to get the hell shot out of em if they flew by that duck hovering over the water!!!! 8) :smt004 8)
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Just beware of anybody that soaks gulps in Coors Lite !
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

You can't get bites on the old colors if you dont' throw them dummy. :roll:
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Cairo trout is a meat eater.

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:smt010 Yeah, and now the doves are educated about seeing the "Robo Dove" flapping it's wings in the field and won't come near them anymore - like the quackers! I tell you, we just have to keep ahead of technology by falling back to some things like the "good 'ole days". :roll:

For instance, tree stand hunters are finding out more so every season that deer look up into trees now - Opps, busted! :smt011 So, go back to still hunting, or set up a on the ground stand - how hard was that, eh? :P

Find other ways of placing the duck decoys out so that the current hundred of thousands of PhD hunter educated ducks haven't seen - we have a whole generation of ducks that have never seen some techniques in a couple of decades! :lick: Remember the old market hunters trick of Sneak Boat hunting? There you go...darned old smarty-pants quackers, you haven't seen the likes of that technique since the 1930's - ha, ha! :evil:

My solution is simple KISS - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX - don't be afraid to be different, go with the wierd sometimes...remember to have fun, eh! :smt007
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Sounds like a helluva plan. Think Ill dig my huge box of saltwater assassin baits out that probably has at least ten bags of every color combo they ever made in it and try em next trip. I wonder if I cut up a gulp and tip my jig with it if it will work like shrimp???? :-D Hell I may even go back to my black and gold devil horse!!!! BB

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Got any old dynamite around the shed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Hell, slack tide , no wind, might try tothrow a stick out and see what floats up!!!!!! :-D :D :-D

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

These recent reports of everybody catching fish on redfins kinda got me thinkin along the same lines a while back. Heres what I mean.

A while back I notice that wal-mart has a center aisle display with a whole side of Cotton Cordell Red fins. Now they have a whole display dedicated solely to Gulps.

I also notice that Jerrys fishing report has mentioned red fins off and on for a couple of months.

So my theory is once the rage of a certain bait catches on and everybodys throwing it of course its gonna catch alot of fish cause everybodys throwing it.

So how much of the Gulp or Red-fin popularity is due to the fact that they really are superior baits and how much is due to the fact that a lot more people are using them and as a result more fish are being caught on them? Once people start to catch fish on them then they get mentioned in reports and by word of mouth further advancing their popularity and the amount of fish caught on them.

Last year before Gulps were the rage it seemed that Candy Corn and Electric Chicken SWAs were the rage. Alot of fish were caught on them but thats because everybody was using them.

I know theres got to be times when a certain bait works better than others but I also know there are about 6 brands that make a lure similar to a Rat L Trap and I bet any one of the six would catch a fish when the circumstances make that type of bait effective. It doesn't have to be the Rat L Trap.

Anyways I just wonder how much of a baits success is really due to its superiority in attracting fish and how much is a result of its increased use which by default leads to more fish being caught on said bait.

I remember the old Sure Ketchs too they were the rage back when Fisherman III was still around. :thumbup:
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Kind of got a point there. All I know is that maybe the Gulp type baits provide more of an attraction than do the SWA baits of old because they smell so bad. Ive tried to figure that smell, cause nothing Ive ever caught from the ocean smelled like that, unless I left it in the fish box for a week!!! Also, I wonder is it intentional for the redfins to be so easily destroyed? I caught seven or eight trout and five redfish on a cc redfin and most of the paint was chipped off. Makes a cool keepsake, but gets expensive after a while.

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Also, I wonder is it intentional for the redfins to be so easily destroyed? I caught seven or eight trout and five redfish on a cc redfin and most of the paint was chipped off. Makes a cool keepsake, but gets expensive after a while.
That's way they make Mirrolure. Spanish, blues, sharks, trout, reds anything with teeth, paint still looks good. :thumbup: :thumbup: Just my opinion.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The past 2 days I threw white SWA,white Exude,white GULP.
I caught fish on white GULP.(I used other colors with less success.)

SWA and EXUDE were my go to baits exclusively before GULP came out.I caught many nice fish on those brands.

I continue to fish them because of the nice fish they have caught over the years and because I have thousands of them to fish up.
My theory is a predator fish sees baitfish attacking the lure and moves in for the kill,thereby taking the lure.

The GULP attracts more baitfish more quickly than do the other baits.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

:thumbup: Reel cowboy :thumbup: Jumptrout

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR