Hunter Safety Course Requirement - Military

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CrispyFishin

Hunter Safety Course Requirement - Military

Post by CrispyFishin »

I was born after Jan 1, 1975. So supposedly, I'm required to take a hunter's safety course before obtaining a hunting license.

I'm active duty military (11 years deep), do I still need a hunter's safety course? I can legally hunt certain people, I hope I can legally hunt certain animals. :smt013

Will a DD 214 or military ID suffice? Or, am I just plain stuck? :roll:
Work 'em silly Gators!!
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Good question, CF. Surely the commission would slide on this one.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Are law enforcement officers and military personnel exempt from the Hunter Education requirements?

Answer
No, law enforcement officers and military personnel are not exempt; hunter education certification is required for anyone born on or after June 1, 1975. However, if you are a Florida resident in the U.S. Armed Services not stationed in Florida, and home on leave with orders for 30 days or less, you are exempt from purchasing a hunting license. If you are exempt from purchasing a license, then you are exempt from having to take the hunter safety course. When you go hunting, just be sure to carry your leave orders with you in case you are stopped by one of our law enforcement officers. You will need to take the course prior to purchasing a hunting license once you leave the military or if you ever become stationed in Florida. See information on the Web at: http://myfwc.com/huntered/.

I hope this helps, I was surprised by the answer. I thiught for sure you wouldn't need to take it but it is not a big deal. Get a couple of your buddies to take it with you
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

I guess I could "create" orders and leave forms to have with me everytime I hit the great outdoors. But that's the low road :thumbdown:

I'll take the course and make the most of it. Afterall, the state has already done alot to make a Gold Sportsman's License only $20 for military types. Thanks for the research AJ!
Work 'em silly Gators!!
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

I emailed Florida State Rep. Will Kendrick to learn more on this issue. They actually called me and gave me a contact at FWC who heads up licensing. I learned that you can get a one year exemption from having to have the Hunter's Safety course.

So, today I finally got the license I was after. I'm happy :-)
Work 'em silly Gators!!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Is that exemption based on being with a mentor ?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

Sir reel wrote:Is that exemption based on being with a mentor ?
Yes, it is. And, I'll make do with that.

Got a call at work yesterday from State Rep. Will Kendrick himself, asking me if I had gotten any resolution. I told him that I have, and I appreciated the call.

I don't live in his district, but to those of you who do, it certainly seems to me that State Rep. Kendrick is a friend of Soldiers and outdoor enthusiasts alike!
Work 'em silly Gators!!