TAKE A KID FISHING

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FUTCHCAIRO

TAKE A KID FISHING

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

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
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Sounds like you had a good day. Hats off. Where was that event?
FUTCHCAIRO

TAKE A KID FISHING

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HAMMER WE ALL MET DOWN AT THE OLD FORT AND HEADED OUT TO THE FLATS AND CREEKS, VERY WINDY DAY.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

The Take a Kid Fishing event went on without a hitch,
25 kids, 25 captains and 25 boats. Each child if possible had a
Capt. and boat to themselves. These kids for the most part were from
the Baptist Children’s Home and were very deserving of a day on the water. As one councilor stated, these kids most likely were not here last year and won't be here next year, so this very likely is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Now to the fun and fishing… The wind was blowing early so any offshore trips were changed to inshore. We had two boys 8 and 10, one from the home the other a quest,
We caught a couple nice keeper trout early, then the water left and the wind billowed harder, had to go deeper. Decided to use some chum in a channel to livin up things.

A nice, but short cobia gives the boys the first look at screaming drag. Over the next hour we boated 5 small sharks and a 4 footer, with a mack, remora and assorted cats.
The macks and lady fish never showed, but what would a couple young boys want to catch, but Sharks. The smiles will be long remembered.

To say that the kids got along would be an understatement, Our guest Josh a very skilled up and coming angler, was quite upset when his parents didn’t immediately allow his new found friend, Logan to come home with him.

Photos will follow after getting a though look over from organizers, Remember others posting reports, Many of the children can NOT be photographed for a variety of reasons.
Check with Don England (Greenbone) if in doubt.
rrteam3

Post by rrteam3 »

WooHoo! Way to go for participating in this event and good job on putting her on some catchable fish!

I bet that zebco 202 was SMOKIN! Were you having to pour water on it to keep it from melting?

Interestingly, must be a popular Saturday for Kids Fishing Day-I'm in Huntsville, AL and we had a similar event here-unfortunately, no spanish to be found, lol.

Nicely done!
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Sounds like a good day on the water. That is a great thing that you guys did. It's all about the kids!
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
flatpicker
Site Sponsor

Post by flatpicker »

Thanks to all the folks who participated in this event. Don't know much about it, but anything to benefit children is a worthwhile event. THANKS for your dedication. :thumbup: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good to hear you all caught some fish and the kids had a good time :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Great job guys. Those kids will remember that experience.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The TAKE A KID fishing program is a co-sponsored program of NORTH FLORIDA GULF FISHING CLUB.
Anyone interested in the program can join NFGFC and participate next year.
The next co-sponsored NFGFC program is HANDS HELPING ANGLERS coming on JUNE 9,2007.
Contact NFGFC for more information.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Way to go NFGFC! I know that the kids from the Florida Baptist Children's home and their leadership REALLY appreciate you doing this. I heard about the event this year but didn't know when it was. I hope to get in on it next year.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

My daughter and I had fun with Brittany and her house mom Charlotte on our boat. We went west where we had caught fish a couple of weeks ago but only found WIND. The fisherwomen did real good and baited their own hooks except when it came to the squid JBT had supplied - thanks to Scott for his sponsorship!

We caught some little ones and slimy ones but no keepers. The girls toughed it out and after it warmed up I introduced them to what a skiff can do in choppy water :roll: . They felt the spray of the gulf and took some home with them. This morning I was unpacking the food bag mom had prepared for us and found this:

The cook out was fun and meeting all the captains some of which I had known for years but got reacquainted. All the kids (big and small) looked like they had a great time.

I heard some mushy stories of how the kids captured, touched and softened some salty old hearts. While this day maybe didn't radically change these kids lives, hopefully it left them with positive impressions that will last their lifetimes!

Heres the girls - Brittany looks a little washed out to protect her identity:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
FUTCHCAIRO

SEA ANCHOR

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BY THE WAY, IF ANYONE COME UP ON A RED-WHITE-BLUE SEA ANCHOR WITH ABOUT 30' OF SKI ROPE TIED TO IT KEEP IT FOR ME , I LOST ONE EITHER ON THE TRIP TO THE FLATS OR ON THE ROAD DOWN TO THE FORT.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
FUTCHCAIRO