Fishing PFD

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SmyrnaKid

Fishing PFD

Post by SmyrnaKid »

After talking with the friendly Marine Patrol officer over Labor Day weekend :thumbup:, I'm now in the market for a fishing PFD. I'm new to kayak fishing and was wondering if anyone could recommend a comfortable PFD. I've done a little research online and two that I am considering are:

MTI Dorado

Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Are there others that any of you would recommend? Got to have something for the week of July 4. :-)

Thanks for the help.
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

You probably have an Academy Sports up there in the big city (I've been to the new one in Macon and like their selection and price). I am considering this MTI vest from their selection

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... 40463-0709

mostly cause it has lots of pocketses. Given a head to head comparison with the Dorado I might go that way. I like the Stohlquist, but paid less for my wife .. might consider a second wife before I buy that one (one less antagonistic to all day angling).
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
SmyrnaKid

Post by SmyrnaKid »

Thanks, Soccerdad. I don't believe there is an Academy Sports up here in Atlanta, but we've got a few simliar type places. Looks like it might be the Dorado for me. Thanks again.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

They have an Academy in Macon, and they have a kayak fishing website up there called http://www.atlantakayakfishing.com . MTI is pretty popular around these parts and Bakertize over at TnT Hideaway on the Wakulla River and HWY 98 sells them.
KentuckyTwoStep

Post by KentuckyTwoStep »

I couldn't imagine buying one without trying it on first though. I just bought the MTI Calcutta Angler at a local sporting goods store, haven't gotten it in the water yet, but plan to July 2nd. It is made of was seems to be real good material. I would prefer the zipper on the Dorado though...

KentuckyTwoStep

Post by KentuckyTwoStep »

Soccerdad wrote:You probably have an Academy Sports up there in the big city (I've been to the new one in Macon and like their selection and price). I am considering this MTI vest from their selection

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... 40463-0709

mostly cause it has lots of pocketses. Given a head to head comparison with the Dorado I might go that way. I like the Stohlquist, but paid less for my wife .. might consider a second wife before I buy that one (one less antagonistic to all day angling).
One thing you might want to consider (which is why I said in the last post to try it on before you buy) is that the shoulder straps on that model don't adjust. On my Calcutta version (and on the Dorado) they are adjustable so you can get the thing down off of your throat, which makes a big deal when you are sitting.
geecheeyak

Post by geecheeyak »

Hello Smyrnakid I grew up in Smyrna and graduated from Campbell High School Before bailing out about 15 years ago and moving to to east central Ga. To help you with your decision After Fishing this afternoon in 90+ heat I would be looking for something with as little upper body coverage as possible the life vest I had on this afternoon was hot as Hades I think the name of what I am thinking of is SOSPENDERS very small and minimal they self inflate when needed also there are also are pfd's made by kayak MFG's that are made for kayaking where most of the floatation material is down lower to give better range of motion that also would be cooler. Wilderness Systems the company that makes the Tarpon line of kayaks makes one that looks interesting I myself am going to be looking for something different than what I have now
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

You can get good PFDs most anywhere these days that boats or boating supplies are sold. Some are more comfortable than others, depending on your size and weight, however.

For starters, try West Marine and Boater's World in Tally, For info on ones that a lot of kayakers use, try Rob at T-n-T on the Wakulla river and Hiway 98, or at the Wilderness Way on the Woodville Hiway just south of the Truck Route. West Marine also carries the SOSpender inflatables.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Personally I like the inflatable vests for use on the kayak. I have several sets of the Sospenders and they aren't bad. Just recently bought two of the Cabela's Guardian vests and they are better than the Sospenders. Buy a manual vest, or an automatic that allows the auto feature to be turned off.

Nathan
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Nathan,
Yeah--I agree--the SOSpenders aren't bad, but I have gone with a Stearns chest pack inflatable from KFS. I especially like the large cental pocket for my camera and the two side pockets where I carry my emergency stuff like a whistle and a spare rigging knife.

Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Yeah, I have a small pouch that goes on the waist belt of any inflatable that holds whistle, flairs, dye marker, and a signal mirror. Definitely a good idea.

Nathan