Flounder Giggin'

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Flounder Giggin'

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Does anybody know anything about Flounder Giggin? Got invited to go tonight and don't know what to expect. Any kind of help is welcome. All I know is bring your bug spray.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Please give a report...I've been wanting to do some myself.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
bballchrism

Post by bballchrism »

if your walking on oyster bars and flounder giging bring a pair of shoes that you dont mind getting messed up and bring a net if you wana catch some crabs
also were are you going at
and good lucks
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

RHTFISH wrote:Please give a report...I've been wanting to do some myself.
bballchrism wrote:
also were are you going at
and good lucks
Ditto, snatch-n-reel. You might talk some of us who have been resisting into give gigging a try. Here a couple of old posts I found when you woke my curiosity up:

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... ging#89912

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... ing#102883
breeze

Post by breeze »

Where are you goin giggin ?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

If your buddies say Talquin or Jackson...stay home.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:thumbup: Don't worry, this ain't Snipe hunting with a flashlight! Just make sure it is in salt water...frogs are the fresh water gigging (it's time to do that, too)!!! :smt007
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

If someone asks you to go flounder gigging on oyster bars...don't go...they are not your friend :o

Flounder are found on sand and/or grass, rarely on oyster bars.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I gave flounder gigging a try for my first time on Friday night. The lights I rigged worked perfectly but the water was a bit murky so we could see bottom only in 2 feet or less. Wasn't sure where to try so we went to Wakulla Beach since I knew it had a good mix of grass shorlines, oyster bars and grass flats. Ended up spending most of our time cruising the grass shorelines and only saw one flounder, too short for the gig.

Would welcome any suggestions on other places to try. One of those old post suggested the marine lab but the closest ramp from there is Lanark, which is a pretty good run in my little boat. Also, when trying that type of area, I presume you're looking for sandy potholes on the grass flats? Or are you cruising the shoreline looking for them nestled up next to the grass?
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

I always turned my lights on and started working on my way out from the ramp in Lanark and go down the grass either way, so many people anymore that all these places are beat to death, you need a boat and find the out of the way places that the "huddled masses" don't know about yet
Shornish

Post by Shornish »

10-4 to that was out on Lanark reef Friday night ran into 2 other giggers. Never saw one flounder. Wind picked up and made it really difficult.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

My brother and I stuck a few up to 3# the Friday before last. We also had a problem with water clarity.
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

If you are having a problem with water clarity, try going out to Dog Island. I run a generator with 4 500watt halogen bulbs, Even if the water is merky you can still see pretty decent if your lights are bright enough. My dad and I go about every other weekend, and we have been averaging between 10-15 a trip. Last weekend we boated two that were over 5lbs each. I will not tell you where my honey holes are but take a look at ths website http://www.floundergigging.com

Does any one know where to get some high quality stainless gig heads with some decent size barbs. Boaters world has a nice stainless gig but the barbs are not big enough to hold a decent size flounder. :smt006
2003 G3 1860DLX
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Went for the first time Saturday night with a cousin in law. Put in at Shell Island about 630pm. Ran to the light house then east to black rock. Fish from about 4' to 1' picked up a trout or two nothing great. Then the sun went down. Headed a little west to "Horns Creek" then the gigs came out. With spotlights hooked to deep cycle batteries and bug spray dripping from my arms and legs HERE WE GO. Poled along the grass line water was rather clear. I've heard that low tide is the best time for this but ofcourse I find that out after I'm on the boat and know that the tide is high. So I pretend like i know what i'm looking for eyes following the light in the water like a dog. I'm told hold your light on this spot I don't see why there was nothing there until I see the gig come thrashing down. Looked like Doak Cambell on a Saturday afternoon. The flounder on the other end goes thrashing around. I swore that I heard banjos in the background. To sum it up looked for the next three hours and that was the only one that we saw. You boys can have it I 'll stick to the rod and reel in the morning
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
Jacknasty

Post by Jacknasty »

DF 1860DLX wrote: Does any one know where to get some high quality stainless gig heads with some decent size barbs. Boaters world has a nice stainless gig but the barbs are not big enough to hold a decent size flounder. :smt006

I only know this cuz a buddy just bought a couple, but Bass Pro Shop carries a Sea Striker brand gig that is very nice. It's got a stainless 5 prong head with thick prongs. It's nicer than some of the other ones I've seen. I think he paid about $50 each for them, but they seem worth it. He'd been looking at a lot of different and cheaper models.
Ramon