Mechanic's Ideas ?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Mechanic's Ideas ?

Post by mjsigns »

Ok on my last trip I had to be towed back to the hill. Got a chance to look under the cowling and discovered I could not turn the fly wheel. :smt010 Called My mechanic and he said to pull the foot of the motor and make sure the problem was not in the foot.

No dice, no spin. :smt013 I had spent the last 24 hours boiling the batteries to get them re-charged. Called my neighbor over and told him the news. He said let me get some tools and we'll see if the can free up the cylinders. He sprayed all kinds of lubricants into the spark plug holes and then he took a giant screwdriver and commenced to turning the "frozen flywheel". After several tries, it finally moved but it was still somewhat stiff even without the plugs in the heads.

While he was freeing up the motor, I went and changed the oil in the footer and it looked good and burnt. Not dry, just good and black.

We put the lower unit back on after we got the starter to spin-up the fly wheel. Now it runs again. Sounds like it's running lean... Not sure what to try next. Tomorrow I'll reconnect the linkages and let the batteries continue to boil.

Any suggestions, Ideas before I take it to Porter Marine ?

Thanks
:thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
birdman

Post by birdman »

I'm not a qualified mechanic but I think you have an issue with your bearings/crankshaft. Outboards have bearings just like any other engine. Whatever damage that has been done will be worsened by any attempt to crank this engine.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sounds like a funeral is in order :smt010
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Go look here smalloutboards.com
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

You have a typical seized 2 stroke.....

I can promise you if you go out again with that motor, you will be towed back to the hill again....( if you even get out)

Sorry, but time for a new motor, or a complete teardown of that one....

Here is a 2 stroke that ran for 30 more minutes after it seized and then was freed, but you can see, there was no hope.......the damaged was already done.

Dubble :smt009
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
FUTCHCAIRO

BYE BYE ENGINE

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DANG MIKE, I AM AFRAID YOU HAVE COOKED THAT ENGINE. ALWAYS BETTER TO HAVE MORE OIL AND GAS THAN NOT ENOUGH. EITHER YOUR FUEL WAS NOT MIXED CORRECTLY WITH NOT ENOUGH OIL OR THE FUEL MIX WAS THINED DOWN TOO MUCH WHICH WOULD MAKE THE ENGINE RUN TO0 LEAN. SORRY TO HEAR THAT. THERE ARE SEVERAL ENGINES ADVERTIZED IN THE ( BIG BEND CLASSIFIED) THAT MIGHT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM FOR UNDER A $1.000. THERE ARE TWO 140 HP JOHNSON OR EVINRUDE ADVERTIZED FOR $2,000 FOR THE BOTH OF THEM, HE SAID HE WOULD SPLIT THEM. HE HAS REPOWERED WITH 150'S. HIS PH. # IS 229-560-1026.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
FUTCHCAIRO
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

One other thing I noticed here. NEVER, NEVER paint the anodes. They need to be bare metal....

I noticed one of the anodes on the foot was painted, and it looked like the one under the center had paint on it to....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Re: BYE BYE ENGINE

Post by reel therapy »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:DANG MIKE, I AM AFRAID YOU HAVE COOKED THAT ENGINE. ALWAYS BETTER TO HAVE MORE OIL AND GAS THAN NOT ENOUGH. EITHER YOUR FUEL WAS NOT MIXED CORRECTLY WITH NOT ENOUGH OIL OR THE FUEL MIX WAS THINED DOWN TOO MUCH WHICH WOULD MAKE THE ENGINE RUN TO0 LEAN. SORRY TO HEAR THAT. THERE ARE SEVERAL ENGINES ADVERTIZED IN THE ( BIG BEND CLASSIFIED) THAT MIGHT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM FOR UNDER A $1.000. THERE ARE TWO 140 HP JOHNSON OR EVINRUDE ADVERTIZED FOR $2,000 FOR THE BOTH OF THEM, HE SAID HE WOULD SPLIT THEM. HE HAS REPOWERED WITH 150'S. HIS PH. # IS 229-560-1026.
Saw an ad in today's democrat: 70 HP Johnson with 50 hours on complete rebuild. $1500 obo. 893-9961.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There are 3 carbs on that motor. If one is gummed, that cylindar will run lean. Do a compression check on it before you run it again. That will probably answer your questiion.
What was I supposed to do today?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Thanks for all the input Guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm going to do a compression check and provide you with an update. There was signs of sea water in the third cylinder spark plug. I agree with double trouble, a second seizure may be eminent. The bearings seem to be screwed. There is just way too much friction on the flywheel.

I am doing a little engine shopping...

It's a 90hp :thumbup:

I am negotiating with the seller... :smt014
FUTCHCAIRO

V -4 EVINRUDE JOHNSON

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MIKE I NOW HAVE 3 OF THE V-4 EVINRUDES, 85,90, & 115. THEY ARE OLD BUT RUN LIKE NEW. I JUST SOLD A V-4 88 HP FOR $1,800, IT WAS LIKE NEW, ONLY HAD 220 TOTAL HOURS ON THE TACK. THOSE OLD V-4 ENGINES ARE GREAT, TAKE CARE OF THEM AND THEY WILL LAST FOREVER. MY 85 H.P. HAS OVER 2,500 HOURS ON IT AND IT STILL RUNS GREAT.
HOPE YA FIND A GOOD USED ONE, BE SURE TO RUN ANY USED MOTOR YA BUY ON A BOAT IN THE WATER FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR, CHECK THE FOOT FOR ANY SIGNS OF WATER AND BE SURE THE PEE HOLE IS SHOOTING OUT A GOOD STREAM OF WATER, CHECK THE COMPRESSION, IF THERE IS OVER 5# DIFFERENCE IN THE COMPRESSION RUN AWAY FAST, THERE IS A PROBLEM.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SEARCH, IF I RUN ACCROSS A GOOD BUY IN ONE 75-140 HP I WILL CONTACT YOU.

I HAVE SUBMITTED THIS REPLY 35 TIMES AND STILL GET INVALID SESSIONS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE FORUM?
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Thanks PA-

The seller wants $1000 for the 90 pictured above. The Book value shows average retail $320

Is there any negotiating with using these values?
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

Dang MJ,

You seem to be having bad luck with motors lately. If the book says it's only worth $320 I'd sure let him know and try to get him to come down.

But the reality is somethings only worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of what any book says. If it sits a while he'll probably come way down, course you probably want to get back out there.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

mjsigns wrote:Thanks PA-

The seller wants $1000 for the 90 pictured above. The Book value shows average retail $320

Is there any negotiating with using these values?
I'd take him 5 crisp Franklins and say take it or leave it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

That was my thoughts also Tom :thumbup: we bought a PRISTINE 97 115 Ocean Pro for $2000 what 2 or 3 years ago for my nephews boat :o we are talking showroom condition both inside and out and running like a top "and still does" :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”