Indian Pass 7.6

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Indian Pass 7.6

Post by Barhopr »

Hit the ramp at the crack of 8:30 with TinCan and is son luke along with a friend of mine Brian and Dad. Went out to the first area about 18 miles or so and started catching short snappers right off the bat. TC hooked up with a nice one.
Moved on to a few spots to the west and got our limit of snapper and a Red Grouper. Got to one spot and the Mahi covered us up. We started loading the boat with'm on a cut bait. I finally broke out the fly rod and boat five on a clouser. Now that was fun. They put on a good air show. Biggest was about 3-4 lbs. Here's one of Luke, TinCans son, with one of the first.
We started back in about 3 and made the hourrun back in. final count for the day was 10 snapper, 1 red grouper, 3 triggers, many bee liners, 3 mangrove snaps, and 18 mahi.
glad you and Luke could go TC. We'll do it again.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
bman

Post by bman »

Looks like a fun trip- I bet the dolphin were a blast on the fly rod!

I see TC passed the torch... literately.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

good job fellas :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Good report, Dorado :lick:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

suweet trip :thumbup:
Buzztail

Post by Buzztail »

We saw a bunch of those "sandwich sized" dolphin last weekend in 95', but could not get them to eat.....Great report
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Buzztail wrote:We saw a bunch of those "sandwich sized" dolphin last weekend in 95', but could not get them to eat.....Great report
We picked them up in about 145'.
VIVA la BT

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I apologize for taking so long to reply. Luke and the girls headed home yesterday evening. I finally got my computer back this morning. :roll:

First, I can't thank Barhopr and his dad enough for the invite. It was a fantastic day with exceptionally good company.

After accepting the invite on Thursday, I called Luke and told him we were going offshore Friday. All he could say at the time was "Lets Go". He drove from South Carolina after he got off work Thursday. He was as excited about a fishing trip as I have ever seen him. He and I got up Friday morning and headed to Indian Pass. As we rode, he had several questions about the day ahead. He wanted to know if I had ever been offshore with these people. I told him I had not. He wanted to know what kind of boat. I told him I didn't know. He had a thousand more questions I didn't have answers for. I finally told him not to worry. I knew enough about Barhopr to know it would be a good day. As soon as Barhopr and his dad, Ray, pulled up, a very large smile appeared on Luke's face. He had no more questions.

As soon as we cleared Indian Pass, and Barhopr throttled up, Luke assumed a position by the forward T-Top post, his face in the wind, and never looked back. Ray got his little yellow book out and picked a number. The first stop was in 95' of water. Ray and Barhopr had obviously been there before. As soon as the lines went down the bite was on. Throughout the day, if the bite slowed, Ray would crack open his little yellow book. After a quick run to a new spot, we would be back in the fish, again. We were in 145' of water and Luke looked out the side of the boat and said "There's a school of something down there". Ray told him it was dolphin. Luke dropped a piece of cut bait about 5' below the surface, and the fun was on. Luke boated the first dolphin, probably a 25" fish, and threw it back. Ray commented to him he had just thrown back the best tasting fish in the gulf. Luke had assumed there was a minimum size, and that one wasn't big enough. Ray told him it was a keeper. Luke grinned from ear to ear and dropped another bait. For 45 minutes we caught dolphin. The boat looked like someone had been murdered in it. The entire inside of the boat was a bloody mess, and so were we.

After a very productive day, Ray headed the boat back toward Indian pass. We loaded the boat and headed to Beacon Hill. At the Brock house, we pulled fish out of the fish box for a while. There was a bunch of fish to clean, and a nasty boat. Barhopr took one look at the large box of fish and said "I'll clean the boat". After a lengthy fish cleaning session, and final cleanup of the boat, Luke and I headed home.

Luke started fishing when he was 5 years old. He's been fishing his whole life. I have never seen him as happy about a fishing trip as he was Friday evening. Barhopr and Ray, I can't thank you enough for the awesome day on the water. This is one Luke and I will re live many times.
What was I supposed to do today?
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Glad your Son's trip from S.C. paid off :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Glad you guys could make it. Both of you are ol'salts. I think I made a bad choice in cleaning the boat. If ya'll have ever seen the chain saw shower scene in Scar Face, that is what the boat looked like. Oh yeah and I forgot to wash out the fish box till the next day. :smt013 :smt010 .
VIVA la BT

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Barhopr wrote: Oh yeah and I forgot to wash out the fish box till the next day. :smt013 :smt010 .
:o I'll bet it didn't take long to figger out what that smell was.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

tin can wrote:
Barhopr wrote: Oh yeah and I forgot to wash out the fish box till the next day. :smt013 :smt010 .
:o I'll bet it didn't take long to figger out what that smell was.

Glad ya'll got out and bled a few. The fish box is always the last thing I think about cleaning. Sometimes until the next trip :smt011
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Post by reel therapy »

Wow. Sounds like a great day.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Great report and great trip.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.