Guess Ill just gripe a while!!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Guess Ill just gripe a while!!

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

A couple of things have been achin' my bones lately and I wanted to see what you guys thought about them. First off, why the hell do people anchor in the channel @ Ecky?? Anyone who fishes there knows there is an extremely shallow ridge right before the tripod and any boat of any size must stay on plane to avoid bottoming out. I feel really bad about rolling people in smaller boats but these guys are kind of asking for it by doing this. I dont begrudge anyone anywhere to fish but wouldnt it be better to anchor off the side and fish back to the channel if you must fish in the river??? What do you guys do?? Do you let out and follow basic boating courtesy , taking a chance on knockin your skeg off or do you keep the hammer down and about flip the smaller vessels??
My second gripe is the blown down birdrack. I came upon it Saturday PM and thankfully I was looking for it and had the numbers in my GPS . This is a really scary thing and someone is gonna get mamed or killed if it is not marked. I wanted to ask you guys if I buy the stuff(rebar and pvc) to mark it with, will I get in trouble by the FWC for introducing foreign materials into the bay?? If you guys think I can get away with it and not get a fine, Ill bring the stuff down this weekend and mark it. Why hasnt the FWC marked it themselves?? With all the scallopers out this time of the year, and that area being such a good scallop spot, you'd think someone would have marked it. Helk, I dont care if I did get a fine, If they will leave it marked, maybe it would avoid an accident. Also, what would be the best way to mark it?? My thought was to drive rebar into the bottom and put the pvc over it. Wonder if it will stay?? A little feed back would be appreciated. Thanks for lettin me vent!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

I say get a cannon. like the old pirates used to have. Maybe an eighteen pounder. If they fish in the channel send a warning shot over the bow. If they don't move - sink 'em. Water ain't that deep .. they can swim home. Then go mark the bird rack. If the FWC boys come by .. point the cannon at 'em and ask if they would like to help mark the hazzard.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Hammer down = less wake!

Colder weather at Anky different when people are all over the river both
anchored and moving around...

Mark the rack...put a business sign on it and write it off as advertising! :-D

my $0.02
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
creech

Post by creech »

My last time out of Ecky on my way back in there were two boats anchored on both sides of the entrance to the river. My wife talked me into slowing down, I cussed the whole way. As I passed these four idiots looked at me as if I had done something wrong. Of course I gave them the ol' "Your number 1" sign as I navigated on. So, I guess I would have to say I'm with you on this one BB. To all of you arses that anchor in the channel expect to be rocked.
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

For recreational boaters, a commonly-observed practical corollary is "tonnage has the right of way": stay out of the way of big boats, because even if you're technically right, you're going to be the loser in a collision.
You just can't fix stupid.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Hey BB, jess' start puttin' in at the Aucilla :thumbup: :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Chalk

Re: Guess Ill just gripe a while!!

Post by Chalk »

Capt Ron wrote:Just remember that "you" are responsible for your wake and any damage resulting from it. It can be very aggravating when people anchor in the channel, but slow down and pass them safely.
Capt Ron is spot on :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't think driving rebar into something half submerged is a good idea....PVC yes, but not rebar
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Chalk , Im not sure you and Capt Ron are on the same page or maybe I misread it. Capt Ron is one hundred percent right on this one though and thats why it is so aggravating. I have to be the responsible one and adhere to correct boating etiquette while they block the channel. I have always been careful and let out but this weekend I dragged my skeg on a bar and bent my skeg guard . Also, Chalk, will the PVC stay in place if it is pushed in the ground? I was thinking of using the PVC by sliding it over the rebar, but I see your point. However, IF someone hits that birdrack, a piece of rebar will be the least of their problems!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Call the Coast Guard!

No seriously...on the bird rack report a hazard to navigation.

On the channel anchorers report a Rule 9 violation. You might also want to call the FWC on the Rule 9.

These folks are the pro's. We pay taxes for them to take care of things like this, but they can't do anything if they don't know about the problem.

Something may get done on the first call, or it may not, but if they get enough calls on the same thing, something will eventually get done.

Capt. Ron is right on about the wake. If something bad does happen, you don't want to be the one found at fault.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I'll supply the rebar and pvc.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Mr Flats

Post by Mr Flats »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote: However, IF someone hits that birdrack, a piece of rebar will be the least of their problems!!
I am reminded of the old adage: No good deed goes unpunished... That being said on anything like this my decision is based on this: When you meet your maker which action will not have to be explained or forgiven.....
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

:thumbup:

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Charles wrote:Call the Coast Guard!

No seriously...on the bird rack report a hazard to navigation.

On the channel anchorers report a Rule 9 violation. You might also want to call the FWC on the Rule 9.

These folks are the pro's. We pay taxes for them to take care of things like this, but they can't do anything if they don't know about the problem.

Something may get done on the first call, or it may not, but if they get enough calls on the same thing, something will eventually get done.

Capt. Ron is right on about the wake. If something bad does happen, you don't want to be the one found at fault.

Good idea, I seriously just want to enjoy the day on the water without tearing up my boat or anyone else's. I sure dont want to read in the newspaper about someone hitting that rack and having to sleep at night knowing I could have avoided it.

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

BB - Seriously, I had some friends from Econfina that were approached a few years ago about marking the channel by other fisherman. In my opinion, this is a good idea with good intentions, .......but.......a legal type person informed them that if they marked the channel, they were assuming responsibility to a certain point.

If someone was running the river and using their markers, and something happened, it could mean problems for them.

This is the "Gilbert and Motlink" type of world we live in today. Marking the bird rack is a great idea, but, you may be setting yourself up for failure.

Contact the authorities mentioned earlier in this post. PM me the contact info and I will do the same. I have several buddies on the forum that I am sure will take the time to notify the right people. Better yet, post the info and I am sure many people on the forum will contact the right folks to try and get something done.
You just can't fix stupid.