St. Marks 3/29/2003

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tod

St. Marks 3/29/2003

Post by Tod »

This is my first post so bare with me. We went out of the lighthouse about 9:00am and fished until 1:00pm. Went just east of blackhead rock, fished in 4 1/2 ft of water. Tried white/pink, yellow/pink sure catch gruds and electric chicken, candy corn assasins, both under the C/T and without. The only thing we caugh fish on was the white/pink grub. Caught 4 fish without the C/T but caught 21 under the C/T. Out of the 25 that we boated we only had one legal and it was about 16". Caught alot of fish and had good weather so it was a good day. Could have had some more keepers but thats the way is goes. Will be fishing Saturday so hope to have a good day then.
Tod Browning (AKA Iceman)
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Welcome aboard Todd. Good report. Sounds like the same kind of luck I had the weekend before. Tons of babies, with very few grown-ups. Gonna be better this weekend. 8)
Semper Fi
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Its really weird how ,on some days, the Cajun Thunder seems to make such a difference.
Yet on other days, freelining is the best method.
I know thats what makes it "fishing", but there has to be a reason for this.

I don,t think I would ever go trout fishing without a CT (or two) in the bag. :)
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Ya'll don't crucify me, but I have never, and I mean"never"caught a fish on a cajun thunder, or any other type of topity popper, like such. I have tried them numerous times, with no luck. Some times I get really angry, when I know there supposed to be biting, but just for spite they won't hit mine. I know, when ya'll look at my name, ya'll automatically think that you hope you beat me to the water, so that you might have a chance, but I am just another guy with plenty of questions and a little tiny bit of know how! So, what's the trick to the cajun thunder!
P.S. I'm not a complete idiot, just wondering if it is really that much better than a straight jig on the bottom, and when I said I had never had any luck with a topity popper, I was not referring to regular top water plugs, which I love, just wanting some different opinions on the cajun versus the straight jig.
Fish Masterson
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Fish, the thunder works. I have a theory why it's working so well right now. The CT allows you to work a jig verrryyy slowly, and keeps the bsit off of the bottom. Although there is no one way to fish the bait, SLOW has worked best in the last few weeks. Throw the thing as far as you can sling it. Now, be patient. Let it sit for 8 to 10 seconds. Give it a couple of quick snatches. Let it sit, again.

There are other variables to consider, also. Length of leader becomes important. The fish I've caught in the last few weeks came from 3.5' to 6' of water. I've gone to a 4' leader. Try varying your leader length. There are times when a 12" leader is enough. I've used everything in between. Color of bait is important. The water is very dark right now. Try bright colored baits.

I've rambled like I know what I'm doing. I'm no pro. But, the CT has produced mor fish for me than anything else this year. Probably the best advice I could offer would be- There is no wrong way to fish this rig. Vary your speed. Snatch it. Pull it easy. If what you're doing isn't working, do something else.

Good luck!
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey Fish, All of us seem to learn from each other. I learn something new it seems ever time I turn on this forum. I'm going to try your donut idea.
My thoughts on the CT is that it changes all the time. Last year I caught 90 percent of my trout on grubs with out the CT. The year before that I caught most of my fish on Mirror Lures. This year they seem to like the CT in some areas.(Enconfina) Without one in others. (Keaton Beach) That is likely to change any day. Another thing I've found this year, :idea: Fish the CT fast and you catch babies. Fish the CT slow as TC mentioned, and you seem to catch larger Trout. That would tell me the big Trout are holding close to the bottom. This is just my personal observation. :-?
Semper Fi
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

As tin can says, the Cajun Thunder certainly gives you more options on bait presentation to the fish.

The additional weight to your rig, also enables you to cast further from the boat, I think this is a relevant factor.
The fish may hit the bait 10 yards away, but how long has he been watching and following.

You can also buy them in lovely colours. :D :D :D
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

CS Marine had a good point, the big boys are on the bottom, and like I've mentioned before on this forum I like to use a Carolina Rig instead of a CT when they are down deep. It gives you an even slower presentation and the unwaited bait will flutter very slowly to the bottom. I didn't get to fish this weekend (went Turkey hunting instead) but a buddy of mine caught 20 something legal fish out of Keaton using the Carolina rig Saturday afternoon. I think the color was space guppy.

Yau'll wear em out, CBASS
ragansm1

Post by ragansm1 »

What are you calling a Carolina Rig??
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

For a Carolina rig I take a 3/4 or 1 oz. bullet weight on top of a glass bead on top of a barrel swivel. I like to use a 2' leader with an unweighted hook. Let it sink and rip it through the grass. It's the same principle as a CT but on the bottom. The noise from the weight and bead ripping through the grass and the fluttering grub behind it. It'll kill em

CBASS
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

CBASS, I have used the Carolina rig for Trout and Red fish right up close to shore. Especially in channels. But I use it mostly in the winter time. I've tried it when it was warm out on the flats, but I get too agravated trying to keep the grass off it. :x
Semper Fi
Tod

Post by Tod »

You guys are full of information :o I just started fishing again last year and had no ideal of what a C/T was until this year from this forum. The C/T is working but I will also try the Carolina rig as well. The fish I have been catching have mostly be short so maybe I have been fishing the C/T to fast :idea: . If the weather is good on the weekend I will be fishing out of St Marks and use the call name Iceman on the radio. Thanks again the info.
Tod Browning (AKA Iceman)
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I prefer the carolina rig on clear sandy bottoms, where that puff of sand can attract the fish.
My experience is that it gets too fouled up retrieving it through the grass.

Its a handy weapon to have in the armoury, though. :wink:
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

We haven,t even started on those 'sploding top water lures. :D
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Tod, I have another thought about all the small trout this year, that few folks agree with that I've mentioned it to. The trout do this every year. The small ones move in first, then the big boys later. I believe the big boys have just now started to move up , in any numbers. They didn't seem to be in the rivers the last part of the winter, it would seem to me then that they went off shore to deeper water. . because it got so cold and there was so much fresh water. So maybe they're just a little slower moving up on the flats this year. The excitments yet to come.
Pure, not an expert thoughts. :-?
Semper Fi