7/28-29

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

7/28-29

Post by SHOWBOAT »

My parents were in town this weekend, so my normal fishing patterns were broken. Left to meet them at Cape San Blas after work Friday. Had dinner at the Magnolia Grill in Apalach along the way. Chef Charlie makes a heck of a meal, and they are dog friendly. Would highly recommend stopping in.

Saturday the old man and I decided to forego fishing the Bay and go in search of tarpoon. We left out of IP about day break. First cast with the castnet came up with only jellys. As I prepared for a second cast, I realized that even after you shake those things out, they can still burn you. I now had a knee, lips and wrists on fire, but no bait in the well. Managed to get off a second cast though, and it had so many 5" pogies I could barely lift the net.

After about a 15 minute cruise we saw the first tarpoon free jump. Started drifting and caught 4-5 of the biggest sail cats I've ever seen. Other boats started to move in, so dwe ecided to relocate. Made it to a channel well known for tarpoon, and could see plenty of them rolling and free jumping. Imeadiately my dad's drag lit up. Managed to boat a mackeral that was probably 8-9 pounds. Looked like a spanish, but bigger than any spanish I've ever seen and had the sharp drop to the lateral line, so I wonder if it was a king. Pics to come after my dad sends them to me, and hopefully somebody can confirm for which it was. Fished for a while longer with no action when my dad's line starts singing again. This time I he tightens the drag and I hear "Holly #$*^" and turn to see a big tarpoon landing from a jump. We fought the fish for about 40 minutes without seeing it again thinking how wierd it is the fish hadn't surfaced again. Finally, we see it and it is a huge bull shark. Probably 7-8' and 250#'s. Put the gloves away, as they are obviously not the proper tools to land this beast. Not sure if the shark just scared a tarpoon when he made the first run or what, but it sure had us confused and a little disappointed. Well, we were supposed to meet the girls back at CSB just after noon, so we headed back to the house.

Put the boat in the water once more at Eagle Harbor and ran to the end for some secluded beach and cocktail drinking. The water in the Bay was a little angry, but I was really happy with the way my little boat performed, especially in light of all the weight it was carrying.

Came back to Tally Sunday morning since Katie had to head to Tennessee on work. I took the 'rents down to St. Marks and collected a limit of scallops in short order just west of GMR. Had a feast of scallops cooked in various ways last night, and we let the dogs get their energy out playing with each other. The 'rents headed home today, and another monday is upon us.

Weekends sure are fun, and always great to see the family. Boat appears to be back in good working order. Guess the problem was pretty simple in that I had accidently purchased a deep cycle battery rather than a cranking battery. :oops: Now I have a new dual purpose Optima that should keep me running for a while.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
bman

Post by bman »

Good time with the family-
I cringed when you described the 2nd cast with the jelly filled net!
:o

Glad the boat ran well for you :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Good trip with Dad. Bet that shark was not too happy about you peirceing his Jaw!
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Glad you and the old man got out and spent some time together.

Sorry to hear about the jellies. That'll leave a mark.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

GOOD READ :thumbup: JELLIES ON THE LIPS, OUCH :o THAT HAD TO SUCK
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I was at IP Saturday also about daylight :o but I was going out with my brother who was camping there and it was probably 7:30 or later before we launched :smt012 and then immediately broke the steering and limped back to shore for a day long repair of the hydraulic steering :smt013

Sounds like ya'l had an adventurous time yer self :-D fun times with yer dad can never be replaced :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Excellent way to spend a couple of days :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Great story...thanks :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I hear peeing on the jellyfish stings eases the pain. :wink: :lol:

Nice hook up on the shark.
:thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Glad ya had time with your parents. and glad the boat did well.

birddog wrote:I hear peeing on the jellyfish stings eases the pain. :wink: :lol:
BD, is this first hand knowledge? :smt005
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

tin can wrote:Glad ya had time with your parents. and glad the boat did well.

birddog wrote:I hear peeing on the jellyfish stings eases the pain. :wink: :lol:
Naw, but if you ever get stung I'll be glad to help you out. :wink: :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

birddog wrote:
tin can wrote:Glad ya had time with your parents. and glad the boat did well.

Naw, but if you ever get stung I'll be glad to help you out. :wink: :lol:
I can always count on you, Barhopr, and Chalk to help me out. :roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

What are friends for? 8) :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Wevans, sorry to hear about the steering and hope you got it worked out.

My dad finally posted some pics on his double gun forum, so I thought I would share.

He started his story with a picture of my IP tarpoon from a while back, and I can't pass up the opportunity to post it again.

A pciture of the old man with what we were hoping would have the same result...

but was inevitably the shark.

And finally, will one you experts out there let me know whether this was a king or spanish. Colored like a spanish, but head and lateral line don't look right and it was pretty big.

In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
finniefish

Post by finniefish »

My money is on a small king, lateral line drops at second dorsal.