8/3 and 8/4 Memorable Midshore Trip with S.C. Friends

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Have yet to name my boat but am debating a few options? Just out of curiosity, wonder which is the favorite of board members?

Poll ended at August 21st, 2007, 1:32 am

Marine's Dream
28%
Memory Maker
22%
Cobe Coffin
6%
JAR HEAD SLED
44%

Total votes: 18

big bend gyrene

8/3 and 8/4 Memorable Midshore Trip with S.C. Friends

Post by big bend gyrene »

Had an old work buddy and his son down from my home state, South Carolina, this past weekend. My ol' bud was interested in how my Panga has performed for me and I promised him if he made the trip down and the weather cooperated I would give him a test ride and do my best to put him on a few fish.

The weather reports had me a bit concerned early Friday morning and we did have overcast skies all day with occasional light rain but I saw it as a HUGE blessing after 2 or 3 of the last trips out being so hot it was tough to fish past midday. My friend kept saying it didn't seem right he made a big trip down and it was colder in FL than back home :wink:

We used the first few hours out on Friday to fish 8' to 10' depths so I could catch pin fish for bait and my friend and his son could try for trout/anything else biting. Put about 20 pins in the bait well while my friend's son had a blast catching shorts, a few big cats, and a lizard fish.

Wanted to use the pins further offshore but the wind wouldn't cooperate so headed inshore to a favorite spot. Big man upstairs smiled upon us giving us about seven reds in short order, with almost all of them in the slot. Put one a piece on ice before calling it a day.

Saturday morning we faced considerably less chop so decided to make a quick run offshore after filling the bait well with pins. Stayed in less than 30' but had an awesome day. We drop our very first line down in the water and in less than 15 seconds a keeper cobia is on. I had warned my friend's son, Jacob, that to hoss a cobia away from structure he would have to do some hefty pulling. My friend and I had a real good laugh when two pulls into the fight he's yelling, "Dad, give me my fighting belt!!!". :-D :smt005 In all seriousness, Jacob's form was good and in short order we've got a keeper cobia on ice.

Few casts later and Jacob shows he's still got the hot hand! Wrestles a 24" grouper off the bottom... this after a full year of shorts for me, all about 1" shy :wink:

Dad and I ask Jacob to take a rest while we try our luck and the bite turns cold. Have to ask him to step back in to set the hook on one for Dad - another 24 incher! :smt005

Decide to call it an early day so we can fire up the grill and head back in with the tide at under 1/2 foot. Really gave me a chance to see how shallow I could float my Panga. Brought it right up to the bar at the Econfina mouth and took the chance to get a few photos of the boat.

Really made it back in without too much trouble at all... just had to pull the motor up a time or two in order to pole a few feet. All in all couldn't have asked for a more fun weekend with good family friends!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Sweet day. Thanks for all the pics. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like everyone had a good time. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice looking rig.
What was I supposed to do today?
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Good 2 days :thumbup: really like those Pangas
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I also am interested in how the Panga rides.

I have thought a while I might like something other than my Carolina Skiff as it can be a wet rough ride.

I also was in the USMC 1371 Combat engineer, we could build or blow up anything.

Looks like you had a pretty awesome day.

How about JAR HEAD SLED or Gyrene Dream for a name?

Where we came from wouldn't it be more like,

M-14 AQUATIC ASSAULT VEHICLE?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Well done guys. Looks like a great trip :thumbup:
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
bman

Post by bman »

Great looking boat and a successful trip!

Looks like a 90hp on the back- how fast will it run?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
fishful_thinkin

Post by fishful_thinkin »

Nice trip with the friends :thumbup:
Less Work! More Fishing!
Carolina Casters

Post by Carolina Casters »

Those two from SC are known as the Carolina Casters.... !
"If they swim, we reel'em in !!"

We really enjoyed fishing the Big Bend.
Big Bend Gyrene was a great host !

As far as his boat's name, how about "A few good fish" ???

Thx.... BBG
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

How bout "Redfish GITMO" cause once they get there, they never leave.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

very nice rig. Good report.

I'd vote for SEMPER FISH :thumbup: :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
blindhog#3
Location: Back to the sweet smell of mustard gas....and killin' Al Asad, Iraq

Post by blindhog#3 »

how about scuttlebutt, pogy bait, high and tight, big green weenie, 0 dark 30, or maggies drawers....had to pull out the red and green monster for a few of these.

Semper-Fi

YAT-YAS
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

bman, you're right -- it's a 90hp on the back of a 22' Pangamarine Marquesas. Runs about 35mph WOT.

What a mess -- Semper fidelis! 1812 here (M1A1 crewman). Ever want a test ride in the Panga, just let me know. I love the ride as it's about as dry as I've experienced, and I've been through a wet Carolina Skiff ride more than a time or two with my best fishing buddy, BBF member Sharkman. Have made many a trip out in the Panga between 12 to 25 miles offshore and almost all have been bone dry. The curved flare of the panga design really pushes the water down and to the back. Don't get me wrong if I'm quartering into waves with the wind going in the absolute wrong direction I have had occasional spray fly in but it's been pretty darn rare. I tell the bad with the good and the one thing I'm honest about is the narrow design makes for a little rockin' and rollin' if you are drifting and are cruising so the waves are pushing the side of the boat. This said, I've put her through some rough rides in 4' swells and she cut the waves great and I felt relatively safe... just wouldn't have wanted to drift at the time :wink: My reason for the panga and the light 90hp on the 22' was to get a rig that would give me the best of shallow/midshore fishing while also giving me a good taste of offshore on bluebird days and I couldn't be happier thus far.

Sir Reel - I thought I had narrowed my boat names down until I saw Semper Fish! I like it... going to have to reconsider my options a while now!

Blindhog #3 - Semper fi to you too! Green monster, boy that sure brings back memories!!!

Last note relates to the need to get both the Carolina Casters back down. When I got a chance to look at my actual post, I quickly appreciated the fact that Jacob's dad only got in one pic, while I was in about half a dozen... only cause Jacob's dad was using his camera for the day and as the deck mate I had the job of helping Jacob bring in all his big catches! :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
blindhog#3
Location: Back to the sweet smell of mustard gas....and killin' Al Asad, Iraq

Post by blindhog#3 »

1812 eh? I was a 1833 AAV crewman. Only reason I wasnt a tanker is that I had a 1st class swimqual. Man I sure do miss having to break track and rip out comm wire or concertina wire!!! Not really, but I do miss the Corps.
my2suns

many thanx

Post by my2suns »

thank you all for ur service to our country :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
I BELIEVE THE BEST SOCIAL PROGRAM IS A JOB. SO GO GET ONE!!!