Shell Point 4/05-08

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jmay
Site Sponsor

Shell Point 4/05-08

Post by jmay »

This was our spring break vacation.... as stated earlier we are still learning the flats so we go when we can. thanks to ya'lls earlier discussions and your advice we had a wonderful fishing trip!!!!!

04/05 we started fishing in the area between piney Island and spring creek @ about 11:00 w/ no results .. the tide was rising so we went to a long oyster bar just off the beach @ shell point. I have had good luck there on a rising tide before so we grounded the boat and started wading on the bar. In a 10 minute period we caught 4 trout 16-22! 3 on candy corn sa on the bottom and 1 on shrimp and ct. Then the sky looked ugly so we went in. We went back out @ 4:00 and fished until 6:00 drifting around live oak. Caught 7 shorts and kept 2, 17 and 18.

04/06 we fished from 10:00 till 6:00 and caught plenty of sun!!! Beutiful day on the water. I had been told to fish the flats around piney Island close to the duck blind. We went there early and caught several shorts and 2 keepers and then I wanted to try one of the reefs so we went to the 3 mile reef with no real results other tthan we had a good time trying something different. we saw a BIG sea turtle and several rays... threw a cobia jig behind them and the anticipation was fun enuff.

04/07 OUR GREATEST DAY ON THE FLATS FISHING EVER!!!!!! This time we went to the flats around the duck blind close to Piney Island and stayed there and fished hard. The boys counted and we landed 79 trout and 2 spanish. we kept 15 trout 15 to 20.5 and the 2 spanish. Most were caught on shrimp and ct in 2.5 to 3.5 feet. Soome on candy corn and ct and electric chicken and ct (everything w/ cajun thunder). It was mostly cloudy and very windy all day 75 degrees. Most fish caught on the rising tide.

04/08 weather man said we could'nt fish but I got up early and went to get shrimp just in case it broke. 4 stores and 2 hours later Imade it back to shell point village w/ 4 dozen of the tiniest shrimp I have ever seen. seems the shrimper was running late. Weather man was wrong on the time... we got out to the same area as the day before and fished until the big rain came @ 3:00. We had made a new friend in the village and were fishing close to him and his wife. we were running out of shrimp annd had only 1 trout. He told us to try cutting pinfish strips. I put out 3 pinfish strips & ct and my boy put out a bare hook w/ a yellow fish bite and ct. He was trying to catch a pin next to the boat when all of a sudden the rod bent over w/ a 19 incher. That was a blast. Then I caught a 20 incher on the cut bait and the boy with us got a 17 inch on the cut up pin. We got a 25" lady fish on cut pin and another lady on topwater. Then we had the excitement of running in in a major down pour.

4 geat days with my family fishing.... fresh fish on the grill and in the fryer and a great meal one night @ Angelo's..... (and some several cold beverages) .......with out a doubt one of ours best vacations ever... and it was made better because of this site and me ease dropping in on your conversations about fishing in this area. I and my family thank you. My boy is 17 and while I am sure he will always hunt and fish with us he is starting to experiance some of his own life's adventures with out mom and dad (I don't want his momma around for some of them!) but this time was very very special.. thanks for letting me share this rambling on with you.

note: we would not have had the fish bites with us except for this site... catching that good fish with only the fish bite was one of our highlights.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

jmay, I'm glad to hear you and your family had a good vacation. The folks on this forum are indeed good folks with lots of good information. Thanks for sharing your trip with us, and don't be a stranger. Everyone is welcome here.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice Trip, Jmay! Glad you shared it with us. Somrthing about those Piney island trout, they are pretty finicky. Other than a few on topwater all (the few :o ) the trout I have caught were on shrimp and one on a jig. I love fishing over there almost as much as Econfina.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey jmay, (kinda rhymes don't it) :lol: Great to hear you and your family had fun. Your right about this site, it's the best I've ever seen to draw a group of folks together of like mind and spirit. We all come from different backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common that allows us to bond quickly. That's a deep rooted love for the Gulf of Mexico, and all it has to offer. :cry: :cry: (touching ain't it) :roll:
You can bet jmay that there are folks out there that have less experience than you do, that will read your post here with great interest. They'll be learning from an old salt like you now. :wink:
Semper Fi
jmay
Site Sponsor

Post by jmay »

thanks CS, like everyone else I'm sure I'll be learning for a long time. 2 things I've learned lately that I'll pass on..... Investing in one of the insulated and areated ( mr bubbles etc..) bait buckets makes all the difference in warm weather in keeping shrimp alive between the store and the live well. and if you like her (or like peace in the family) when you leave your wife alone in the boat while you wade a oysterr bar make sure she already knows how to operate the boat!!! currents can move a boat faaaaassssstttt out of shouting instructions range.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Runaway boat. :o That sounds like an adventure within itself. I would imagine that your wife was pretty excited about that. Your back, so she must have learned pretty fast.
Semper Fi
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

jmay, that was certainly a "hard core" fishing holiday. :wink:

Thanks for the report and I,m glad you all had such a great time. :D