Any reports from the East End of St George Island?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cooter

Any reports from the East End of St George Island?

Post by cooter »

May be heading down to the East End in the State Park at St George Island this weekend and just wanted to know if there have been any reports from down that way.
Ripple
Site Sponsor

Post by Ripple »

I was at the west end of Dog Island yesterday and we got some pompano and reds, a blue and a big whiting. Had to work pretty hard for 'em though. It was amazing that we saw NO mackerel. Lots of small mullet around.

We rode by the east end of SGI and didn't see any bent rods...
woman loves to fish

fishing in the park

Post by woman loves to fish »

hi , i fish in the park.. dont have a 4 wheel drive so cant go to the east end but the surf fishing hasnt been that great . maybe once the water warms up a little. wanting to find reports on wade fishing/surf.. help me out :D
ann
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

Hey ann. First off get you a pair of polorized sunglasses. You can get them at a lot of places cheap ( 14-25 bucks)b There are two places on St. George that I have found productive without useing a 4x4. When you get on the island take a right and go all the way to the plantation and take a left to the beach. Park the car, walk to the dunes and look for the darkest color water or a good place the waves aren't breaking so hard and walk with your gear to that spot. In toher words your looking for deeper water, a foot or two difference can make all the difference. Or you can go to the state park, left when you get on the island, go to the last pavailion. Get as high as you can, scan the beach for the same factors as before. In those deeper areas I have had more luck with pompano, red fish, black drum, sharks, sting rays, spanish mackrels, and any other dam thing that wanted to bite my live shrimp. I like to put a shrimp on the bottom. or cast a really shinny jig called a Nyle Lure. That jig is even improved by takeing a live shrimp, pulling its head off and slideing the jig hook in the body so the hook comes out the bottom of the shrimp. There is also a good wade fishing spot closer to tallahassee. It's Bald Point If your interested just ask and I'll give ya the skinny on that place. REMEMDER....shuffel your feet while walking in the H20... I've seen the pain a sting ray can inflect if ya don't let him know your comming. Well good luck and Let me know if ya do well at any of those places.
Littoral

East End

Post by Littoral »

Slow Thursday (4/16). I say that with high expectations. Pompano are there, we brought home 5 but worked hard for them. Spanish are a can't miss at Dog Island Reef. Also, the southeast edge off of Dog Island has a ledge that consistantly produces big spanish. Troll speed seems critical. ~300 yards off the beach.
Ducttape, thanks for the details on the island.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

What were you trolling? We are headed that way tomorrow.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Tom, We caught a couple nice spanish on gotcha plugs and store bought prerigs with skirts followed by spoons. I trolled around east pass while looking for bait. Good luck this weekend. 8)
Sea Ya !
woman loves to fish

ABOUT THE ISLAND FISHING SPOT

Post by woman loves to fish »

THKS ALOT FOR ALL THE INFO, BUT YOU CANT GET IN THE PLANTATION CAN YOU, JUST PARK ALONG THE ROAD AND WALK, OK THEN.. WE USALLY GO DOWN TO THE STATE PARK AND PARK AT # 80R 7 AND TRY IT THERE, LAST YEAR IN JUNE, WE CAUGHT MACKS,TROUT,BLUES A COOLER FULL ON A OUTGOING TIDE AT ALMOST NITE . IT WAS SO KEWL ON BAIT IN THE SURF , IT HOOKED US, BUT THAT ONLY HAPPEN A COUPLE OF TIMES , BUT WE RELIGIUS GO BACK HOPING FOR THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN. WE WENT ON SAT. MORN BEFORE SUNUP AND CAUGHT 6 WHITING BY THE BUCCANEER INN, THEN WENT TO THE PARK AFTER THEY OPENED NO LUCK, DEPRESSING? I KNOW THEY ARE THERE BUT, I MUST NOT BE IN THE RIGHT SPOT, MIGHT TRY YOU INFO... THKS AGAIN. :D :D :)
ann
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Tom, I like the silver gotcha for casting & trolling but the choice at the above mentioned site is a Clarke Spoon. Why that one? Well you know that story... This site has been a consistent producer for big spanish on that spoon into summer after the spring run (last 3-4 years).
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

What size Clarke Spoon? Can we asume it is chrome?

BTW. Many thanks for the information.