9/28 Busy Midshore Trip!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

9/28 Busy Midshore Trip!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Work and life had gotten in the way of fishing for over a month. With a Friday off from work and the wind looking as mild as it had been in recent weeks, I couldn't put off the fishing fever.

My regular fishing bud, Sharkman, is currently working on a Master's degree and has a test on Monday that made him reluctantly give up on the idea of getting out -- accordingly I decided to try going it alone.

Went out of Econfina and worked my way out of the mouth by the light of the moon to avoid getting caught in skinny water. Stopped just long enough to take two pictures of the sun rising and the moon falling...

Quickly caught a handful of pinfish and headed out to deeper water. Only had to stop at one spot, as the bite proved to be on. Quickly landed five grouper (and loss a sixth :smt010) - three were short but all provided much fun :D

Next up was a hyper blacktip! Not the biggest I've seen but he made up for it with acrobatics. Made about four clean jumps and did a few circles around the boat and my anchor rope :-D Made sure to tire him out well before taking the photo below.

Last bite of the day was the best. I hadn't caught anything for about twenty minutes and when I got the bite was caught a bit off guard :sleep: Grabbed the rod, clicked the lever to engage, and instantly knew I was on the big fish of the day. Battled for about 10 minutes to get a view of what I had hooked and finally saw the flash of a nice cobe before it decided to make three of four more good runs away from the boat. No suprise, but the cobia proved most difficult to photography while I was alone on the boat :wink: Took three tries but finally got the cobia to quit fighting me just long enough to snap a photo.

Headed back inshore and tried two of my favorite red spots... neither produced but the mullet were mighty thick and in a jumping mood :wink: Enjoyed the constant mullet teasing as long as I could stand it before a million love bugs and flies gave me motivation to get some air flowing. Saw one last interesting sight on the way to the Econfina landing... was well down the river when a shark made a leap out of the water. I wouldn't stake my life on it not being a dolphin as it happened quickly and caught me by surprise but by the quick look I got it looked more like a shark about 6 feet in length. To give those of you that know the area well an idea of where it jumped, it was after the river narrows and was closer to the houses in the "no wake" zone than it was the mouth. Made for an interesting close to a super day on the water. Running marathons in Maine and South Carolina during October so fishing may not be in the cards but if it's the last trip for the fall season, I'm thankful for the blessed day :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

beautiful trip. Thanks for posting. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Awesome trip :thumbup:

Saw two black tips yesterday.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Water looks great...fish ain't bad either. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Nice Cobe. Great day on the water. Thanks for making the effort to take the pictures. Great report. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice trip and report BBG. Thanks for the report and the pics. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
Sharkman

Jealous

Post by Sharkman »

I knew you would make me jealous. Just to let you know, I studied all day and wished I was fishing. I hope this Master's degree pays off some day because right now I am kicking myself.

Great job! It looks like I need to come over your house for dinner. Wow! What a day!

I thought the cobia would be gone by now but maybe we still have a couple of weeks.
Boat_Full
Site Sponsor

Post by Boat_Full »

Nice job with the camera, great report.

:thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Good trip. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

1st class fishing and reporting. Thanks
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

WTG. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Great trip thanks for the post. :thumbup:
dawghouse1

Post by dawghouse1 »

Great post & pics :thumbup: :thumbup:
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."---Will Rogers
beatswork

Post by beatswork »

Just to let you know, I studied all day and wished I was fishing. I hope this Master's degree pays off some day because right now I am kicking myself.

I know it hurts now, but I just received my Master's last spring and it is already paying dividends. I can't tell you the number of fishing trips and other stuff that it kept me from, but in the end it will all be worth it. Hang tuff!!! :thumbup:

Excellent fish and pics. Thanks for the report.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Way to go. :thumbup: