Yamaha Extended Service

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AJ
Site Sponsor

Yamaha Extended Service

Post by AJ »

The warranty on my '00 150 VMax is about to run out. Is it worth it to buy three more years of coverage for $1,503.93? I know it's my money but I'm just curious what ya'll think. :roll:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

AJ, it's a tough decision. Yamahas are known for dependability. However, if something major does go wrong, $1500 is mild compared to a powerhead, a lower unit, or a computer and fuel injection system. I just replaced the lower unit on my 200 HP Mariner to the tune of $3400. That was a result on an accident so my insurance bought that one. But, a few years ago I blew a powerhead up. It would have been $5000 to replace the powerhead. I opted to take my losses and purchase a new motor. Hopefully you will have many trouble free years from your Yammy. I sure hope so. Again, it's a tough decision.
What was I supposed to do today?
jonguthrie
Site Sponsor

Post by jonguthrie »

It is my understanding that these extended warranties are not backed by the manufacturer but are third party contracts.

Here is A quote from the fishingpensacola forum that is of intrest.

BJW
Ol' Salt
Member # 12
[] posted May 13, 2003 08:55 PM     []   []     []   []   [] I spent 16 years in the car business before going to law school and had a lot of experience with car extended warranties which seem to be the same companies that sell the boat extended warranties. If the warranty is acutally sold by the manufacturer (i.e.: a G.M. extended warranty on a G.M. car) you might consider it. Otherwise run. The finance manager pushes the warranty from the outside insurance company for one reason - profit. They make a huge profit on the extended warranties. The dealer retains as much as 70 to 80% of the premium for profit. The finance manager gets a healthy chunk of that as a commission. The finance manager may have ended up with 20 to 25% of what you paid for the warranty in his pocket. His job is to sell you that stuff and if he doesn't he doesn't get paid. The insurance companies that write the coverage are just in it for the profit, they don't care about you. I saw those extended warranty companies do some really slimey things to people. My guess is that they probalby at least implied that it was your fault that the motor broke.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Thanks for the info. This is a Yamaha Motor Company waranty that I have been offered but I have also received several "third party" waranty offers.
I need to make up my mind soon but it's hard to turn loose of that kind of money.