Econfina 12-8

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Econfina 12-8

Post by Redfish Jim »

Launched about 11:00 at Econfina. Water was still very low but eventually got out of the river and headed to some rocky areas in 20' to see if I could find some grouper and check my crab traps. Got a dozen claws with a couple of sure 'nuff jumbos in the mix. No grouper (twice in a row I've struck out on them) but got 10 very nice sized sea bass trolling. The grass was annoying but not nearly as bad as last week.

Went into a creek about an hour after the high tide and fished all the way past the treeline. Had pretty good action. Caught 8 redfish, most between 20" - 23". They were scattered the entire length of the creek. Kept a 22" fish. Also got a couple of trout, 18" and 22". Both got gut hooked or I would have let them go. I'm getting soft in my old age and actually starting to practice catch-and-release once I've got a good mess to eat. My mother in law will be getting some trout filets. All the creek fish caught on gulps.

The only down side to a really fun day was hitting something hard trying to get out of the creek :smt013 Skeg got bent. Hope I'll have money left over to buy the kids christmas presents. The tide seemed a lot lower than 2.0 (what my GPS said it was supposed to be). Not sure why since the little bit of wind there was came out of the east-southeast.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Beat the heck out of what I did Friday. :thumbup:

What kind of boat were you in?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Sorry about the skeg..:thumbdown:

Congrats on the solid catch. :thumbup:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Too bad about the love tap...other than that sounds like a great day. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Sorry to hear about the grouper and the skeg. :smt010

Congrats on the reds and trout. :thumbup:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
dawghouse1

Post by dawghouse1 »

Thanks for the report. :thumbup: I will agree with you on the tide. We fished Sunday and it didn't seem seem nearly as high as predicted.
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."---Will Rogers
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

What a great day of fishin'! A lot of great variety, that's for sure.... But dang about that skeg... oh well... Experiences keep us going! And are priceless...