Another Trout question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chugbug

Another Trout question

Post by chugbug »

I am not a marine biologist by any stretch, but with all the discussion about keeping big trout because they are females going on, I have to ask this. If they close the season in February because of the spawn, shouldn't the larger females have eggs in them? From the two trips I've taken and cleaned trout, there has been zero eggs in any of them. Actually, it looks like they had the makin's of a male instead. When do eggs start appearing or do they look different in trout? It may be a dumb question but wanted to ask anyway.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Another Trout question

Post by silverking »

CB,
Trout are not closed in Feb. in the NW region due to spawning. That decision was made to curtail harvest for re-building stocks and the month was picked to minimize impact on guides/hotels, etc.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

chugbug wrote:I am not a marine biologist by any stretch, but with all the discussion about keeping big trout because they are females going on, I have to ask this. If they close the season in February because of the spawn, shouldn't the larger females have eggs in them? From the two trips I've taken and cleaned trout, there has been zero eggs in any of them. Actually, it looks like they had the makin's of a male instead. When do eggs start appearing or do they look different in trout? It may be a dumb question but wanted to ask anyway.

They don't close the season in Feb because of the spawn. The close it for 2 reasons. 1 is the fish tend to gather in smaller areas such as rivers and springs and become much easier to catch and therefore overharvest. 2, the mandate for a closed season on seatrout came down and they had to close 1 month. Which month has the least economic impact if you close fishing? I'll give you a hint, its also the shortest month.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

One of the silliest things I have seen too,had absolutely nothing to do with the biology of trout and had 0 effect
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

The decision to have a closed season on trout was based on sound political judgment, just like a lot of other game regulations. :-?
What was I supposed to do today?