Water depth

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

southernundertaker

Water depth

Post by southernundertaker »

a few weeks ago some one was asking about the top water action and the response was pretty much the same from everyone(WHAT ACTION?), then we ran into a guy that said the freshwater from this years rainfall is keeping the fish under the fresh/saltwater dividing line. he claims it is eaxctly 48 inches below the surface and that is where the best action is at. to catch fish you have to get below this. Does anyone out there have a response to this???

Keep'em bitin boys! S/o
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Yeah go to Aucilla :lol:
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

Hey SU, call CairoTrout or call me and we'll tell you about a little spot that you'll be lucky to catch any fish anyways other than topwater. It's an area that you rarely find water deeper than 30". Fish it on the falling tide and I gauruntee some trouts and reds. Good luck
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

SU, I do admit that top water has been pretty slow for me, but Chalk and me caught a limit at Enconfina a while back of fine trout when the rain water was almost at it's highest level. We caught most of them in less than 2 foot. One was one of the largest trout I've ever caught. So to me, that idea wouldn't pan out. I've heard others say the same thing. I believe the fresh water might impact thier bite, I just know about the defined 48 inch salt line.
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Well, my hypothesis would be the trout generally can be found year round in close, but with them holding eggs right now, they may prefer a higher concentration of salinity in the water. All keeper trout were holding eggs (that I cleaned) But, I did catch one dink the other day off the bank. Its possible all the rain has changed the chemistry of the water (higher nitrates, nitrites and other crap I have read about) and the fish have moved off some. Where is our local biologist (Littoral). I spend to much time thinking about fishing 8)
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Dang it Chalk, you been holding back. You sounded purty smart there with that hypogastric analytics. :o :wink:
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I was once called a pretty fart smellor :lol: , only once though
southernundertaker

Post by southernundertaker »

I didn't realize i had asked anything about fishing with scents???? :lol:
Ha Ha, appreciate the feedback. southern undertaker.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Interesting subject. I don’t often (enough) find people thinking this much about such things. Hypothesizing is my favorite part about fishing. When you’re out there and the puzzle comes together (aka catch fish) it’s great. That’s especially true when you’ve planned you’re day carefully and make the right call. Sometimes we don’t. That’s why we keep going back. In Behaviorism it’s called random reinforcement and it produces the strongest response. Alias, like Chalk, I’m always thinking about fishing.
As to the salinity question and the distribution of trout, I don’t know. True, saltwater is denser and sinks. I have thought about layering (halocline) relative to chasing trout in creeks in the winter. That’s where I think the 48â€
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.