New Hobie Revolution

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Talltails

New Hobie Revolution

Post by Talltails »

I just picked up a new Hobie Revolution Mirage drive from Brad at Sunjammers Watersports. I have owned a Hobie Outback in the past, and am really pleased with the design of the Revolution. It is a true hybrid designed to both paddle and pedal. Hobie has always done things the right way. The little things like carry handle placement, hatch placement, side compartments and built in tackle storage are well thought out and easy to use. They are an extremely stable and versatile kayak. I can't wait to go wrestle some tarpon in it this summer.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: New Hobie Revolution

Post by jsuber »

Nice Ride Brother Man.
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

That's a nice boat. I know that the paddles fold up flat against the bottom when not in use, but how much do they inhibit shallow water use? And are they easy to take out when you're out paddling if you need to?
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

The fins will fit tight against the contour of the hull. In that position, they add no more than an inch or so to the overall profile. The mirage drive itself is very easy to remove when not needed. Simply lean forward, unlock the two cams, and pull the unit up through the scupper hole. I have rarely felt the need to remove it while fishing, however.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Nice. Real Nice. The price is a litte scary but worth it for the features.
The collapsible cart that fits in the hatch is a great addition for dealing with 60lbs plus gear.
The drive would be real nice to free up hands "full time" for fishing.
Especially when you wrestle Tarpon. I'll do the video. :thumbup:
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

Hey, count me in on this tarpon trip.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey TT,
Nice craft! If I was in the market for another yak, that is the one I would go with. Here are some pics that I took of our very first FCKA fishing tournament that were inconveniently deleted from the FCKA Web site. The first one below shows Brad of Sunjammers with his red Revo (hey--mebbe Brad sold you his!?),

The second pic shows the midships tackle tray with a selection of lures for our area. Turns out those mesh pockets just below the gunnels are a perfect place to carry bags of Gulp shrimp, squid, mullet, or whatever.

Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Thanks for the pics, Apalach. That revolution Brad has is the first one I had seen, and have always admired and envied them since. I was fortunate enough to get a brand new shiny one just like his. 8)