St Marks - 2/16 - The Oscar Meyers didn't work!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

St Marks - 2/16 - The Oscar Meyers didn't work!

Post by caseycook »

Met up with Tincan at 6 a.m. at JBT for the Redfish tourney. We lauched at Shield's and made a long run East. We got near our first planned fishing spot and were missing one key ingredient: water. We hung out for around 40 minutes watching the tide rise until we had enough water to ease into our spot. We arrived at the spot, but saw no activity - no tails, no mullet, nothing. Trolling motored around all over the area, but couldn't find any schools of mullet.

Around 9:30, we saw Showman and Suber working their way into shore and saw them land a good fish. We made our way towards them, but never saw the fish they were on. Around 11 a.m. we loaded up and headed further east. We went back into a few muddy coves that usually hold fish when the sun gets up high. In the first cove we saw a few fish, but they were really spooky. In the second cove we saw another couple groups of fish and were able to land one at 20" on a twitch bait.

For the last hour we fished in one of TC's proven areas and we had mullet all around us. We saw a couple good fish (and some nice trout) in the area, but the fish just weren't feeding. We fished hard all day, were in the right areas, and the fish just didn't bite. It still beat working. Plus, TC and I had a good time.

It was a tough fishing day as only 5 of 14 boats had fish in the tournament and only 3 of those had 2 fish. Congrats to Showboat and jsuber for some good looking fish and for bringing home the money.

Only fish of the day was caught on a mullet colored twitchbait, but I threw the spoon for most of the day...
Boom goes the dynamite.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks - 2/16 - The Oscar Meyers didn't work!

Post by jsuber »

Good seeing you guys on the water, next time we need to fire up those radios.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

jsuber wrote:Good seeing you guys on the water, next time we need to fire up those radios.
Good attitude JSuber.
The IFA boys on tv yesterday did exactly that and everyone caught nice fish.
Congratulations to everyone who caught fish in the JBT. Especially the NFGFC fishermen.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Good day on the water :thumbup:
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Tough Day.......But better than sitttin on the hill...
If you release them they will grow!!!!
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Tough day, CC and TC, but glad ya'll got out. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Sounds like our experience during the NFGFC tourney. All about the right area at the right time. Unfortunately, my timing seems off alot. :D Wish I could have been out there anyway. Did y'all try switching to viennas?
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Thats alot of runnin' for a couple fish. Dont feel bad I fished a few very good spots yesterday also in my boat and managed two fish. Strange day fishing with no water in the morning a steady wind in the afternoon and a crap load of spooooky fish.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Tough day for sure, but good keepin' the faith. I can see how that happens. Of the ten or so proven winterspots I fished yesterday, only two held fish, and even they were pretty tightlipped. We'll all get 'em next time :thumbup:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

tough day guys, been there done that. Next time try SlimJims on a jig. They pack 400% more scent than the Oscars do. Or you can try the BBQ Armour Viennas.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Barhopr wrote:Or you can try the BBQ Armour Viennas.
Breaking out the big guns. :o :lol:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

About like my day. Glad you got to go out.
striperguy17

Post by striperguy17 »

Sounds a lot like my day...fish were real spooky all over the place..my first redfish tournament so it was a learning experience also...there sure were a lot of you who knew what you were doing..ill try to get a more detailed report up later.
Florida State University
mjm06h@fsu.edu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Faith is the ability not to panic"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Yep, it was a tough day for us. I even tried rubbing the Oscars in my arm pits.

The fish obviously were in certain areas, and not in others. It's hard to swallow a day like CCand I had, knowing the tournament was won 300 yards from us.

Casey, it was a pleasure being on board your ride. I'm looking forward to several more trips with you in the future.
What was I supposed to do today?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

caseycook wrote:...only 5 of 14 boats had fish in the tournament and only 3 of those had 2 fish.
Ouch.
I REALLY DO appreciate the report. Especially the detail. :thumbup: :thumbup:
You explained what didn't work. Sounds to me like it should have. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Either way, there's a lot of good puzzle pieces there that fit together, somehow.

By the way, I think it's game on for any of us think they can actually hook up a real fish with the vienna.
I'm in. :wink:
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.